archlinux install bottleneck
Jude DaShiell
2018-02-18 12:27:11 UTC
After having run arch-chroot /mnt /usr/bin/bash one of the things I do is
to run alsactl store.
alsactl store returns error 125 /var/lib/alsa/asound.state no such file or
directory. Certainly there's no such file since when alsa was run before
arch-chroot got run on system boot /mnt/var/lib/alsa directory was empty
having just run pacstrap on /mnt. So since this is supposed to work,
could it be arch-chroot script fails to collect and pass along enough of
the right environment information to its chrooted environment for alsactl
store to run? Details are available at:
information at:
http://www.alsa-project.org/db/?f=43f6670eb3bde26ad6491d2faa631625109f88d0

LoneVVolf
2018-02-19 11:17:16 UTC
Post by Jude DaShiell
After having run arch-chroot /mnt /usr/bin/bash one of the things I do
is to run alsactl store.
alsactl store returns error 125 /var/lib/alsa/asound.state no such file
or directory.  Certainly there's no such file since when alsa was run
before arch-chroot got run on system boot /mnt/var/lib/alsa directory
was empty having just run pacstrap on /mnt.  So since this is supposed
to work, could it be arch-chroot script fails to collect and pass along
enough of the right environment information to its chrooted environment
http://www.alsa-project.org/db/?f=43f6670eb3bde26ad6491d2faa631625109f88d0
Kernel release: 4.13.3-1-ARCH

Looks like you are using an older iso to install ?
If so, have you tried with the 2018.02.01 iso ?

LW
Jude DaShiell

Øyvind Heggstad
As a sidenote: Why are you running alsactl store inside the chroot?
Zachary Kline via arch-general

Jude DaShiell
2018-02-19 15:31:24 UTC
Because I want the sound card operational on first boot. I have two
sets of speakers connected to the computer when I failed on that first
install. So I disconnected the usb set and the install failed again
with the same error. Finally after each install, I boot into arch and
don't hear grub beep or any sound after that. It could be the torrent I
used was hacked since grub at least should have beeped even if the sound
card didn't work. Now it's possible I may need to use the be my eyes
app on my iPhone to examine the screen for me to see if archlinux can't
for some reason find the sound card and was maybe asking for some
assistive input from me to get it going.