Grub-efi install issue
Matthew Dyer via arch-general
2018-08-06 19:25:20 UTC
Hi all,

I am trying to install arch to a efi system and got as far as the
configure the packages but grub install is whare I am stuck. First off,
in the wiki it says to mount the efi partition, but it doesn't say whare
to mount it to.  Secondly, I run the following to install grub-install
--target=x86_64-efi --efi-directory=/dev/sda1 --bootloader-id=GRUB and
get the following error. something about unable to get the udev.  What
am I missing?  Would something rong?  The wiki artical s a bit confusing.

Thanks.
Morgan Adamiec via arch-general
2018-08-06 19:34:22 UTC
On Mon, 6 Aug 2018 at 20:25, Matthew Dyer via arch-general
Post by Matthew Dyer via arch-general
Hi all,
I am trying to install arch to a efi system and got as far as the
configure the packages but grub install is whare I am stuck. First off,
in the wiki it says to mount the efi partition, but it doesn't say whare
to mount it to. Secondly, I run the following to install grub-install
--target=x86_64-efi --efi-directory=/dev/sda1 --bootloader-id=GRUB and
get the following error. something about unable to get the udev. What
am I missing? Would something rong? The wiki artical s a bit confusing.
Thanks.
The EFI partition is usually mounted to /boot on arch systems,
although /boot/efi is another common place.

The grub wiki page says "substitute esp with its mount point".
/dev/sda1 is the device, not the mount point.
Matthew Dyer via arch-general
2018-08-07 17:21:48 UTC
Aaa,  Thanks.  I managed to get it installed and configured, but while
the system booted I had no speech.  I saw another thread on this and
someone thought it was an orca problem, but not sure as this was a basic
arch system.  I did havew antergoes installed to another vm and also had
no speech so could be releated.   Thanks again.  I will mess with this a
bit more as it seems the efi partition needs to be mount twice onece
before installing all packages and then mounted to the installed system
while in arch-chroot.

Matthew