Leftover kde4 stuff
Oon-Ee Ng via arch-general
2017-02-18 01:56:04 UTC
I just hit a bug with okular (rarely used it and just got surprised by this)

https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/53003

After more investigation I realized the kactivites was being provided by
kactivities4 (which no longer exists). Further investigation showed that I
had a bunch of old kde4 packages (some still in repos, some not) installed.
I think this is the list:-

kdebase-runtime (16.12.2-1)
libkscreen4 (1.0.5-2)
qjson (0.9.0-1)
libkexiv2_4 (15.08.3-2)
kdelibs (4.14.29-1)
qca-qt4 (2.1.3-1)
polkit-qt4 (0.112.0+git20160226-1)
phonon-qt4 (4.9.1-1)
phonon-qt4-vlc (0.9.0-1)
libqzeitgeist (0.8.0-6)
libdbusmenu-qt4 (0.9.3+16.04.20160218-1)
attica-qt4 (0.4.2-3)

Only libkscreen4 and libkexiv2_4 were no longer in repos, and uninstalling
both removed the rest.

Did I miss an announcement or anything where I'd have noted these packages
disappearance and uninstalled them? Or should I be keeping an eye on pacman
-Qm (I have 137 packages there at this point)?
Bardur Arantsson
2017-02-18 09:03:12 UTC
Post by Oon-Ee Ng via arch-general
I just hit a bug with okular (rarely used it and just got surprised by this)
[--snip--]
Post by Oon-Ee Ng via arch-general
Did I miss an announcement or anything where I'd have noted these packages
disappearance and uninstalled them?
Nah, I don't think so unless there's something special about these
packages in particular, this is just the way pacman works AFAIUI.... but
now that you mention it, it might a good idea to have pacman mention
orphaned packages like e.g. 'apt' does. (OTOH, maybe it would be too
costly to do so every time it's run. Of course one could always set up a
monthly cron job to remind about packages that are orphaned.)

Regards,
Bruno Pagani via arch-general
2017-02-18 15:57:05 UTC
Post by Bardur Arantsson
Post by Oon-Ee Ng via arch-general
I just hit a bug with okular (rarely used it and just got surprised by this)
[--snip--]
Post by Oon-Ee Ng via arch-general
Did I miss an announcement or anything where I'd have noted these packages
disappearance and uninstalled them?
Nah, I don't think so unless there's something special about these
packages in particular, this is just the way pacman works AFAIUI.... but
now that you mention it, it might a good idea to have pacman mention
orphaned packages like e.g. 'apt' does. (OTOH, maybe it would be too
costly to do so every time it's run. Of course one could always set up a
monthly cron job to remind about packages that are orphaned.)
Regards,
Well, Arch users are supposed to run pacman -Qdt(t) regularly and remove
the old cruft.

However, I too agree that pacman could warn when a package is now
orphaned or optdep only. Pacaur does this for AUR operations par exemple
(see https://github.com/rmarquis/pacaur/issues/623).

Regards,
Bruno