[arch-general] LUKS on LVM example in wiki
Fons Adriaensen
2017-11-19 15:53:01 UTC
I've been reading the section 'LUKS on LVM' in the wiki page

<https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Dm-crypt/Encrypting_an_entire_system>

and there's something I fail to understand.

Under 'Preparing the logical volumes', there is:

# lvcreate -L 500M -n tmp MyVol

(which isn't shown in the ascii picture just above).

Later, under 'Configuring fstab and crypttab' a tmpfs is created on the
encrypted /tmp partition:

dev/mapper/tmp /tmp tmpfs defaults 0 0

Question: as far as I've understood, a tmpfs resides in RAM, with
overflow to /swap. So why is there a logical volume for /tmp ?
Or put otherwise, if /tmp is to reside on disk, why use a tmpfs ?

TIA,
--
FA

Brett M. Gilio
2017-11-19 22:20:10 UTC
Hello FA,

Did you get an answer to your question? Let me know if you still need help.

BMG

Brett M. Gilio
B.S. Biological Sciences
B.M. Music Composition
http://www.brettgilio.com/

"Sometimes the obvious is the enemy of the true."
- G. Stolzenberg