systemd permissions on run?
Oon-Ee Ng via arch-general
2018-02-02 01:40:12 UTC
Did something change recently w.r.t this? I have smbd, postgresql, and
squid all failing on me with the following error:-

systemd[1]: smbd.service: Permission denied while opening PID file or
unsafe symlink chain: /var/run/smbd.pid
systemd[1]: postgresql.service: Permission denied while opening PID file or
unsafe symlink chain: /var/lib/postgres/data/postmaster.pid
systemd[1]: squid.service: Permission denied while opening PID file or
unsafe symlink chain: /run/squid.pid

The bug tracker only turns u #56966 and #56828 which both have to do with
the 'nobody' user.
c***@bankmail.host
2018-02-02 01:50:03 UTC

Thank you for your mail. I will answer as fast as possible.
Oon-Ee Ng via arch-general
2018-02-02 03:23:34 UTC
Post by Oon-Ee Ng via arch-general
Did something change recently w.r.t this? I have smbd, postgresql, and
squid all failing on me with the following error:-
systemd[1]: smbd.service: Permission denied while opening PID file or
unsafe symlink chain: /var/run/smbd.pid
systemd[1]: postgresql.service: Permission denied while opening PID file
or unsafe symlink chain: /var/lib/postgres/data/postmaster.pid
systemd[1]: squid.service: Permission denied while opening PID file or
unsafe symlink chain: /run/squid.pid
The bug tracker only turns u #56966 and #56828 which both have to do with
the 'nobody' user.
More curiously, this does NOT happen on another Arch laptop I have (with
those same services running). My ls -la results in /run seem to turn up the
same thing, nor are there any differences in shadow/gshadow/passwd etc.
Leonid Isaev via arch-general
2018-02-02 03:46:37 UTC
[...]
Do these seem similar?

Leonid Isaev
c***@bankmail.host
2018-02-02 03:30:03 UTC

I'm enjoying a holiday at sea and will be off the grid until the end of month! I'll get back to you that week. You could also reach out to my colleagues via the support mail.

Thanks for your patience and talk to you then!

Best regards,
c***@bankmail.host
2018-02-02 04:00:03 UTC
I will be out of the office from January until March.
If you need immediate assistance please contact the office.

Kind Regards,
Óscar García Amor
2018-02-02 07:49:42 UTC
Related bug: https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/56828

The issue is caused because systemd assumes that nobody user have the
UID 65534, but in Arch Linux it have the UID 99.

Temporally fix is do a `chown 65534` to the file. And take note that
the `ls -l` command shows nobody with UID 99 and 65534 (yes other
related bug).

Greetings!
--
Óscar García Amor | ogarcia at moire.org | http://ogarcia.me