hcidump is missing?
Алексей Трофимов via arch-general
2017-03-08 15:19:33 UTC
I try to dump bluetooth traffic to find audio codecs my wireless headphones
support --
http://askubuntu.com/questions/425333/how-to-make-aptx-capable-bluetooth-equipment-work-with-ubuntu

But it looks like I have no hcidump installed.

command-not-found says:

hcidump may be found in the following packages:
extra/bluez-utils 5.42-1 /usr/bin/hcidump

I have `bluez-utils` installed.

Checking https://www.archlinux.org/packages/extra/x86_64/bluez-utils/ I see
that it provides `bluez-hcidump`, but no bluez-utils is file list?

Was it renamed? Deprecated? What should I use then?
Guus Snijders via arch-general
2017-03-08 15:34:22 UTC
Post by Алексей Трофимов via arch-general
I try to dump bluetooth traffic to find audio codecs my wireless headphones
support --
http://askubuntu.com/questions/425333/how-to-make-aptx-capable-bluetooth-equipment-work-with-ubuntu
But it looks like I have no hcidump installed.
It looks like hcidump is no longer supported:
http://git.kernel.org/cgit/bluetooth/bluez.git/commit/?id=b1eb2c4cd057624312e0412f6c4be000f7fc3617

<quote>
build: Hide deprecated tools under --enable-deprecated
This marks the following tools as deprecated as they are not longer
maintained or have been replaced by other tools: hciattach hciconfig
hcitool hcidump rfcomm sdptool ciptool gatttool
</quote>

Though it is not very clear what can be used instead.

Otoh; perhaps if you rebuild the PKG with the appropriate flags you
can get it back.

mvg,
Guus Snijders
ProgAndy
2017-03-09 12:38:29 UTC
Post by Guus Snijders via arch-general
http://git.kernel.org/cgit/bluetooth/bluez.git/commit/?id=b1eb2c4cd057624312e0412f6c4be000f7fc3617
<quote> build: Hide deprecated tools under --enable-deprecated This
marks the following tools as deprecated as they are not longer
maintained or have been replaced by other tools: hciattach hciconfig
hcitool hcidump rfcomm sdptool ciptool gatttool </quote>
Though it is not very clear what can be used instead.
I think the replacement for hcidump should be btmon (plus btsnoop?)
For the rest I think it is like this:
- hciattach seems to be replaced by btattach.
- hciconfig can probably be replaced by btmgmt nad maybe bluetoothctl.
- gatttool looks similar to btgatt-client.
- hcitool seems to be replaced by the dbus device api without any
commandline tool.
- rfcomm and ciptool seems to be missing, they probably want you to use
the dbus profile api.
- sdptool seems to be missing, you should probably use the different
dbus objects like the profile api, the advertising api, and the UUIDs
list in device api and adapter api.

A.
Peter Nabbefeld
2017-03-09 13:29:39 UTC
Post by ProgAndy
[...]
Hello Andy,

You seem to have a good knowledge about that - could You probably update
wiki pages?

Regards
P.
ProgAndy
2017-03-09 14:24:12 UTC
Post by Peter Nabbefeld
Post by ProgAndy
[...]
Hello Peter,
What I wrote is about the extent of my knowledge. I'll add it to the
wiki, though.
I was looking for an rfcomm replacement, so I created a list of likely
candidates for the deprecated tools. I never tried them and for the time
being use rfcomm from the AUR: bluez-utils-compat

--
A.

Doug Newgard