Poor performance wifi BCM4331 - MacBookPro
Maykel Franco via arch-general
2017-07-07 19:34:47 UTC
Hi, I have install archlinux in my MacBookPro with this wifi hardware:

Broadcom Limited BCM4331 802.11a/b/g/n

In the wiki arch:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/broadcom_wireless

BCM4331 noticed to have problems with b43-firmware-classic. Use
b43-firmware for this card instead.

I probed with b43-firmware-classic community and b43-firmware yaourt
and both poor performance... 900k bandwith and microcuts.

I will try broadcom-wl because I see in this link:

https://www.reddit.com/r/archlinux/comments/5qlyfm/cant_get_wifi_with_broadcom_bcm4331_chip/

Too I see broadcom-wl-dkms but I have the default kernel no dkms.

Somebody with the same problem??
ProgAndy
2017-07-07 21:09:02 UTC
Post by Maykel Franco via arch-general
[...]
https://www.reddit.com/r/archlinux/comments/5qlyfm/cant_get_wifi_with_broadcom_bcm4331_chip/
Too I see broadcom-wl-dkms but I have the default kernel no dkms.
Somebody with the same problem??
Hi,

DKMS is not a kernel version, but a method to install kernel modules
from source code

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Dynamic_Kernel_Module_Support
Bradley Klee via arch-general
2017-07-07 21:29:19 UTC
Hi Maykel,

Don't confuse me for an expert, but I have been dealing with Broadcom issue on a recycled dell laptop.

According to the wiki, Broadcom devices have been historically difficult for Linux developers to work with. Replacement hardware could be a better option, but in the meantime wireless seems to work in my case using the "dkms" package.

If Installing this you should read the following:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Dynamic_Kernel_Module_Support

Adding a dkms package will change your update procedure, sometimes making additional work for pacman.

In case you didn't find the MacBook-specific wiki page, which also mentions Broadcom issues, try looking around here:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/MacBookPro11,x
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/MacBookPro7,1

Also, this topic is on numerous BBS threads, so you may want to try a google search, such as: "broadcom macbook 4331 site:bbs.archlinux.org" .

Hope this helps,

Brad
2017-07-08 19:24:51 UTC
Bradley thanks for all.

I install the broadcom-wl-dkms and later, pacman -Syu and add dkms
module in the kernel.

Now the wifi is more efficient, speed and stability.

Thanks for all.