Please update the Cinnamon packages
Marcelo Ranolfi via arch-general
2017-06-18 07:44:45 UTC
Good morning,

Our Cinnamon packages, from maintainer Alexandre Filgueiras (
https://www.archlinux.org/packages/?maintainer=faidoc), have been
out-of-date for a while now.

Someone asked on Reddit a month ago about this (
https://www.reddit.com/r/archlinux/comments/6axs8n/to_alexandre_filgueria_why_is_cinnamon_34_not/)
and was informed that the packages are up-to-date in Antergos. I appreciate
that Mr. Filgueira is the founder and project leader for Antergos.

Since the Cinnamon packages are currently lagging 5 months behind official
releases, I'd like to ask Mr Filgueira to either step up and update the
packages, or possibily consider handing over the maintanership in the best
interest of the community. The Cinnamon DE is developing fast, and a rather
large number of quirks are fixed each release.

There's a git version in AUR, but it's basically broken (the PKGBUILD
themselves, and the sources - it's dev version after all). I'd create
another AUR package myself for the most up-to-date version, but we have a
policy of not doing that for official packages. Anyway, I would volunteer
to maintain Cinnamon, if needed.

Thanks for your consideration.
Marcelo "Marc" Ranolfi via arch-general
2017-06-22 04:39:25 UTC
Good morning,

With Cinnamon 3.4.2 released 2 days ago, the version available in the
official repository is now 3 releases behind.

I exhort those in charge to please give this matter some attention.

Thanks.
mike lojkovic via arch-general
2017-06-22 05:16:20 UTC
Might he be waiting on Linux Mint 18.2 to be released before updating? (all
of the major bugs should be fixed by then)

On Jun 21, 2017 11:39 PM, "Marcelo "Marc" Ranolfi via arch-general" <
2017-06-22 05:33:12 UTC
I highly doubt it, since it's up-to-date in Antergos (although I suspect
it's an automated build)