[arch-general] Gnome crash
Frank Zimmermann
2017-01-15 18:41:22 UTC
Good evening,

since yesterday my Gnome Shell crashes at start with the following
message in the log:
gnome-session-f[1207]: segfault at 0 ip 00007f01adab3cc9 sp
00007ffd261ce930 error 4 in libgtk-3.so.0.2200.6[7f01ad7d1000+6fa000]

Is this a problem other Gnome users see as well?

KR Frank
Olli
2017-01-15 18:55:46 UTC
Hi Frank,
Post by Frank Zimmermann
since yesterday my Gnome Shell crashes at start with the following
gnome-session-f[1207]: segfault at 0 ip 00007f01adab3cc9 sp
00007ffd261ce930 error 4 in libgtk-3.so.0.2200.6[7f01ad7d1000+6fa000]
Is this a problem other Gnome users see as well?
I experience the same issue – happend some days ago already – and could
only resolve it by “resetting” the complete dconf configuration
(deleting folder ~/.config/dconf). I guess it is not necessary to delete
all dconf configuration settings but I couldn’t figure out which one is
the culprit. Maybe it is only a certain setting or an extension.

However the Gnome shell still seems very instable and crashes when e. g.
searching the dasboard for certain terms.

It would be good to get to the root of these problems

Regards,
Olli
Tom Zander
2017-01-17 10:14:29 UTC
Post by Frank Zimmermann
Good evening,
since yesterday my Gnome Shell crashes at start with the following
gnome-session-f[1207]: segfault at 0 ip 00007f01adab3cc9 sp
00007ffd261ce930 error 4 in libgtk-3.so.0.2200.6[7f01ad7d1000+6fa000]
Is this a problem other Gnome users see as well?
Not sure if related.

My KDE session completely died twice in as many days. Which leads me back to
the login prompt.
--
Tom Zander
Blog: https://zander.github.io
Óscar García Amor
2017-01-17 10:42:19 UTC
Have you installed infinality fonts? They have incompatibility
with harfbuzz and broke several packages.

See here https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Infinality the banner and
here https://gist.github.com/cryzed/e002e7057435f02cc7894b9e748c5671

Greetings.
Óscar García Amor | ogarcia at moire.org | http://ogarcia.me
Mathieu Clabaut
Andres Fernandez
2017-01-17 12:25:21 UTC
El 17 ene. 2017 9:10 AM, "Mathieu Clabaut" <***@clabaut.net> escribió:

Gnome on Wayland was very unstable here. Switching back to gnome on X11
solved the problem. No more crash since.

I have an unstable session on both X11 and Wayland since libharfbuzz was
updated. I'm not saying that it is the problem, just that since that day my
box is unstable.

I had a notebook that is not updated since about two weeks and is stable on
both X11 and Wayland sessions.
Leo Noordhuizen via arch-general
2017-01-17 12:57:28 UTC
I am planning for today to finish a fresh Arch installation (trying out
Arch again after a few years. I have 'always' been using Ubuntu)

Reading this I wonder whether I should install X11 or Wayland

Leo Noordhuizen - Eindhoven - The Netherlands

Frank Zimmermann
2017-04-29 14:36:24 UTC
Post by Mathieu Clabaut
Gnome on Wayland was very unstable here. Switching back to gnome on X11
solved the problem. No more crash since.
I have an unstable session on both X11 and Wayland since libharfbuzz was
updated. I'm not saying that it is the problem, just that since that day my
box is unstable.
I had a notebook that is not updated since about two weeks and is stable on
both X11 and Wayland sessions.
Did you guys manage to get Gnome working again. I was hoping for the
ugrade to 3.24 but that didn't change anything:-O
Here even GDM crashes. So is this some general issue with Gnome on
Arch?
KR Frank