Can not run kdesu kate
Junayeed Ahnaf via arch-general
2017-07-15 23:37:54 UTC

Freshly installed arch with KDE and I can not run kdesu kate filename . When I enter this command it asks for a password and after that it does absolutely nothing. What can I do ?

Thanks

Junayeed Ahnaf Nirjhor
Twitter @ Nirjhor<http://twitter.com/nirjhor>
sL1pKn07 SpinFlo via arch-general
2017-07-15 23:49:24 UTC
<arch-***@archlinux.org>:
> Hello,
>

> Freshly installed arch with KDE and I can not run kdesu kate filename . When I enter this command it asks for a password and after that it does absolutely nothing. What can I do ?
>

> Thanks
>

> Junayeed Ahnaf Nirjhor
> Twitter @ Nirjhor<http://twitter.com/nirjhor>

SUDO_EDITOR=kate sudoedit <file>

i'm not like, but works
Junayeed Ahnaf via arch-general

SUDO_EDITOR=kate sud
sL1pKn07 SpinFlo via arch-general
2017-07-15 23:54:51 UTC
> Any idea why kdesu isn't working?
>
> Sent from BlueMail
> On Jul 16, 2017, at 5:50 AM, sL1pKn07 SpinFlo via arch-general
> <arch-***@archlinux.org> wrote:

>> <arch-***@archlinux.org>:
>>>
>>> Hello,
>>>

>>> Freshly installed arch with KDE and I can not run kdesu kate filename .
>>> When I enter this command it asks for a password and after that it does
>>> absolutely nothing. What can I do ?
>>>

>>> Thanks
>>>

>>> Junayeed Ahnaf Nirjhor
>>> Twitter @ Nirjhor<http://twitter.com/nirjhor>
>>

>> SUDO_EDITOR=kate sudoedit <file>
>>
>> i'm not like, but works

the "problem" is kate, not kdesudo or kdesu

https://cgit.kde.org/kate.git/commit/?id=9adcebd3c2e476c8a32e9b455cc99f46b0e12a7e
Ralf Mardorf
2017-07-16 00:03:44 UTC

Good catch! So the OP should ignore my reply :).
Junayeed Ahnaf via arch-general
2017-07-16 06:57:06 UTC
Thanks ,

SUDO_EDITOR=kate sudoedit <file>

works :-)

________________________________

i'm not like, but works
Ralf Mardorf
2017-07-15 23:57:48 UTC
On Sat, 15 Jul 2017 23:37:54 +0000, Junayeed Ahnaf wrote:
>Freshly installed arch with KDE and I can not run kdesu kate
>filename . When I enter this command it asks for a password and after
>that it does absolutely nothing. What can I do ?

Hi,

did you expect "sudo" or "su"? IOW did you type the correct password
"user" or "root" password? Did you run it from command line to get
detailed information?

On my system I've got "kdesu4" installed, but there is no "kdesu"
available.

[***@archlinux ~]$ ls -hAl /usr/bin/kdesu
ls: cannot access '/usr/bin/kdesu': No such file or directory
[***@archlinux ~]$ ls -hAl /usr/bin/kdesu*
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 27 Jul 12 09:41 /usr/bin/kdesu4 -> /usr/lib/kde4/libexec/kdesu
[***@archlinux ~]$ pacman -Qo /usr/bin/kdesu4
/usr/bin/kdesu4 is owned by kdebase-runtime 17.04.3-1

So if I e.g. type

[***@archlinux ~]$ kdesu xed
bash: kdesu: command not found

I get "command not found".

Btw. I don't use it ;).

Seemingly the command "kdesu" does exist on your machine, but it seems
to be configured incorrectly.

Did you take care of

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/sudo#kdesu

?

Regards,
Ralf
sL1pKn07 SpinFlo via arch-general
2017-07-16 00:01:31 UTC

kdesu is part of kde-cli-tools from [extra]
Antonio Rojas
2017-07-16 08:49:30 UTC
There is no need whatsoever to run kate as root. Kate will ask for password as needed when trying to save a file to a write-only location.