Intel microcode - latest version not loading
Dutch Ingraham
2018-02-28 17:46:23 UTC
Hi all:

I'm having an issue with Intel microcode loading. Specifically, the microcode
does not appear to be loading the latest version:

~ $ dmesg | grep microcode
[ 0.000000] microcode: microcode updated early to revision 0x19, date = 2013-06-21
[ 0.931272] microcode: sig=0x106a5, pf=0x2, revision=0x19
[ 0.931319] microcode: Microcode Update Driver: v2.2.

My processor is:

~ $ grep -E 'family|model|stepping' -m 4 /proc/cpuinfo
cpu family : 6
model : 26
model name : Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU W3503 @ 2.40GHz
stepping : 5

The Intel website indicates the latest version of microcode for this processor
is version 20171117 [1]. However, as indicated above, the version loaded at
boot is dated 2013-06-21.

I have the latest stable version of intel-ucode installed:

~ $ pacman -Q intel-ucode
intel-ucode 20180108-1

I have updated GRUB with <grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg>, and rebooted.
The grub.cfg file shows, as the last line in the menuentry:
'initrd /boot/intel-ucode.img /boot/initramfs-linux.img'

I am using a stock kernel:

~ $ uname -a
Linux arch2 4.15.5-1-ARCH #1 SMP PREEMPT Thu Feb 22 22:15:20 UTC 2018 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Can someone help me determine what is going on here?

[1] https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/27337/Linux-Processor-Microcode-Data-File?product=40799
Doug Newgard via arch-general
2018-02-28 17:50:09 UTC
On Wed, 28 Feb 2018 11:46:23 -0600
Post by Dutch Ingraham
[...]
You're looking at the dates that the last *bundle* was released. That says
nothing about what firmware is available for your processor. Your microcode was
"updated early", so it is being loaded just fine.

Scimmia
Ralf Mardorf
2018-02-28 18:04:41 UTC
Post by Doug Newgard via arch-general
You're looking at the dates that the last *bundle* was released. That
says nothing about what firmware is available for your processor.
Let alone that the µcode could be fishy, as it seemingly is for my CPU.
I don't expect that Intel will support older CPUs.

[***@archlinux ~]$ hwinfo --cpu | grep Model | sort -u
Model: 6.60.3 "Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU G1840 @ 2.80GHz"
[***@archlinux ~]$ dmesg | grep microcode
[ 0.000000] microcode: microcode updated early to revision 0x23, date = 2017-11-20
[ 0.000000] Intel Spectre v2 broken microcode detected; disabling Speculation Control
[ 0.329718] microcode: sig=0x306c3, pf=0x2, revision=0x23
[ 0.329837] microcode: Microcode Update Driver: v2.2.
[***@archlinux ~]$ ls -hAl /sys/devices/system/cpu/vulnerabilities/
total 0
-r--r--r-- 1 root root 4.0K Feb 28 04:11 meltdown
-r--r--r-- 1 root root 4.0K Feb 28 04:11 spectre_v1
-r--r--r-- 1 root root 4.0K Feb 28 04:11 spectre_v2
[***@archlinux ~]$ cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/vulnerabilities/*
Mitigation: PTI
Mitigation: __user pointer sanitization
Mitigation: Full generic retpoline
--
$ pacman -Q linux{,-rt-securityink,-rt,-rt-pussytoes,-rt-cornflower}
linux 4.15.6-1
linux-rt-cornflower 4.11.12_rt16-1
Dutch Ingraham
2018-02-28 18:43:26 UTC
Post by Dutch Ingraham
[...]
Thanks, Scimmia. I had considered that, but thought that would have
been spelled-out somewhere on Intel's site and didn't want to just
assume. So, how does one determine what files are on the .img?
Doug Newgard via arch-general
2018-02-28 22:54:03 UTC
On Wed, 28 Feb 2018 12:43:26 -0600
Post by Dutch Ingraham
Post by Doug Newgard via arch-general
You're looking at the dates that the last *bundle* was released. That says
nothing about what firmware is available for your processor. Your microcode was
"updated early", so it is being loaded just fine.
Scimmia
Thanks, Scimmia. I had considered that, but thought that would have
been spelled-out somewhere on Intel's site and didn't want to just
assume. So, how does one determine what files are on the .img?
The img file can be extracted with bsdtar. iucode_tool in the AUR used for
working with the intel bin file inside of that .img file. It can list, extract,
search, and more. There's even an example on the Microcode wiki page.
Dutch Ingraham
2018-02-28 23:41:17 UTC
Post by Dutch Ingraham
Post by Doug Newgard via arch-general
You're looking at the dates that the last *bundle* was released. That says
nothing about what firmware is available for your processor. Your microcode was
"updated early", so it is being loaded just fine.
Scimmia
Thanks, Scimmia. I had considered that, but thought that would have
been spelled-out somewhere on Intel's site and didn't want to just
assume. So, how does one determine what files are on the .img?
The img file can be extracted with bsdtar. iucode_tool in the AUR used for
working with the intel bin file inside of that .img file. It can list, extract,
search, and more. There's even an example on the Microcode wiki page.
Did you just add that wiki page information?? (I'm just kidding, of
course.) Totally missed it - thanks for the info!
ProgAndy
2018-03-01 19:13:08 UTC
Post by Dutch Ingraham
Post by Doug Newgard via arch-general
You're looking at the dates that the last *bundle* was released. That says
nothing about what firmware is available for your processor. Your microcode was
"updated early", so it is being loaded just fine.
Scimmia
Thanks, Scimmia. I had considered that, but thought that would have
been spelled-out somewhere on Intel's site and didn't want to just
assume. So, how does one determine what files are on the .img?
The img file can be extracted with bsdtar. iucode_tool in the AUR used for
working with the intel bin file inside of that .img file. It can list, extract,
search, and more. There's even an example on the Microcode wiki page.
Did you just add that wiki page information?? (I'm just kidding, of
course.) Totally missed it - thanks for the info!
In February Intel also released a PDF with available and planned
microcode updates. The original now asks for a login, but this is a mirror:

http://www-pc.uni-regensburg.de/systemsw/security/microcode-update-guidance_02122018.pdf

Original location:
https://newsroom.intel.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/11/2018/02/microcode-update-guidance.pdf
Dutch Ingraham
2018-03-01 19:59:50 UTC
Post by Dutch Ingraham
[...]
That's excellent information. Apparently, my 8 year old Core2 may soon be
getting its first MCU!
Mike Cloaked via arch-general
2018-03-02 19:59:57 UTC
There is a newer version of that file dated February 26th but I can't
remember where I downloaded it from.
Post by Doug Newgard via arch-general
Post by ProgAndy
On Wed, Feb 28, 2018 at 04:54:03PM -0600, Doug Newgard via
Post by Doug Newgard via arch-general
On Wed, 28 Feb 2018 12:43:26 -0600
On Wed, Feb 28, 2018 at 11:50:09AM -0600, Doug Newgard via
mike c
Mike Cloaked via arch-general
2018-03-02 20:10:45 UTC
Post by Dutch Ingraham
That's excellent information. Apparently, my 8 year old Core2 may soon be
getting its first MCU!
My apologies for top posting - it was accidental.

There is a newer version of that file dated February 26th but I can't
remember where I downloaded it from.

I've put it at
https://filebin.net/q3s5in117kp7mkut/microcode-update-guidance.pdf if you
want to see it.
mike c
Dutch Ingraham
2018-03-03 00:29:31 UTC
Post by Mike Cloaked via arch-general
There is a newer version of that file dated February 26th but I can't
remember where I downloaded it from.
I've put it at
https://filebin.net/q3s5in117kp7mkut/microcode-update-guidance.pdf if you
want to see it.