AIF-NG (feedback/Request for Comments)
Add Reply
brent s.
2017-05-07 19:05:18 UTC
Hello!

Some of you may remember AIF (Arch Installation Framework). However, the
project is dead ([0]) and has been for quite some time.

Being that most major distributions have a way of installing their
distribution in an unattended manner/via PXE:

-Debian (and derivatives, incl. Ubuntu): preseed
-RHEL/CentOS/SuSE (and derivatives): kickstart (cobbler, etc.)

I felt that Arch would benefit from something similar. As such, I have
written AIF-NG[1]. It's written in python 3 and uses an XML-driven
configuration (see the documentation[2] for details[3]).

I would welcome feedback on this (preferably via my bugtracker[4] unless
it happens to be discussion-oriented), as I'd like to get it mature
enough to propose it for inclusion in the official Arch install media
(currently for this to be supported, that would only require two things:
the "python" and "aif" (or "aif-git") packages, which can be found on
the AUR[5][6]).

[0] https://github.com/Dieterbe/aif
[1] https://git.square-r00t.net/AIF-NG
[2] https://aif.square-r00t.net/
[3] https://aif.square-r00t.net/#writing_an_xml_configuration_file
[4] https://aif.square-r00t.net/#bug_reports_feature_requests
[5] https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/aif/
[6] https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/aif-git/
--
brent saner
https://www.square-r00t.net
Bart De Roy via arch-general
2017-05-08 15:46:56 UTC
Thank you for sharing! I could try AIF-NG and some of
your other projects in a few weeks on an old laptop.

The link to the kernels 'submitting patches' document
has changed to
https://www.kernel.org/doc/Documentation/process/submitting-patches.rst
brent s.
2017-05-08 16:03:48 UTC
Post by Bart De Roy via arch-general
Thank you for sharing! I could try AIF-NG and some of
your other projects in a few weeks on an old laptop.
The link to the kernels 'submitting patches' document
has changed to
https://www.kernel.org/doc/Documentation/process/submitting-patches.rst
Thank you Bart! Both for offering to test test and the updated link;
I'll push updates to my docs accordingly.
--
brent saner
https://www.square-r00t.net