Cannot reach archive.archlinux.org from behind a working proxy
SanskritFritz via arch-general
2017-04-10 11:56:52 UTC
I use Arch Linux in a corporate environment (YEAH :D)
I usually update my system using this in the mirrorlist:
Server=http://archive.archlinux.org/repos/2017/03/23/$repo/os/$arch
(Whenever I actually want to update my system, I just edit the date in the
mirror, this way I can make sure I update to a state which is tested at
home already.)
The sysadmin has created a proxy rule for me that allows me to reach the
server through the company proxy using this:
http_proxy=proxy.company.biz:8080 pacman -Syu
So far this worked well, however some weeks ago it stopped working saying
error: failed retrieving file 'core.db' from archive.archlinux.org :
Connection timed out after 10935 milliseconds
The sysadmin says he can see my packet go through the proxy. I can't use
another mirror for testing, as the proxy rule allows me to reach only
archive.archlinux.org.
Is it possible that my work IP address where I connect from (195.184.167.238)
gets rejected at archive.archlinux.org?
Florian Pritz via arch-general
2017-04-10 12:29:36 UTC
Post by SanskritFritz via arch-general
Is it possible that my work IP address where I connect from (195.184.167.238)
gets rejected at archive.archlinux.org?
We do not reject any traffic, but we did migrate the archive to a new
server at the beginning of April. Maybe the proxy does not check the
domain, but only allows traffic to a specific IP?

Also the new server redirects all traffic to https. I do not know if the
old one did this as well, but I assume it did not. Does the proxy only
allow plain http traffic without ssl?

Florian
SanskritFritz via arch-general
2017-04-10 12:49:25 UTC
Post by Florian Pritz via arch-general
Also the new server redirects all traffic to https. I do not know if the
old one did this as well, but I assume it did not. Does the proxy only
allow plain http traffic without ssl?
This was the solution, thank you. I just have to set https_proxy and use
https in the mirrorlist.