[arch-general] i3stats depends on wireless_tools, causing "firmware load for regulatory.db failed" w/o wireless-regdb
David C. Rankin
2018-08-11 23:48:08 UTC
Archdevs,

There seems to be a funny depends (or missing depends) issue for *some*
systems without wireless that have i3status installed.

This appears to be because i3stats depends on wireless_tools, which during
boot triggers an attempt to load /var/lib/regulatory.db -- which fails because
the file doesn't exist with the following:

[ 11.924427] cfg80211: Loading compiled-in X.509 certificates for regulatory
database
[ 11.928144] cfg80211: Loaded X.509 cert 'sforshee: 00b28ddf47aef9cea7'
[ 11.928215] platform regulatory.0: Direct firmware load for regulatory.db
failed with error -2
[ 11.928219] cfg80211: failed to load regulatory.db

This issue was touched on from a different angle in:

The /var/lib/regulatory.db file is provided by wireless-regdb (a dependency
of crda), but neither are a dependency wireless_tools.

I don't know exactly what hardware triggers the attempt to load on systems
without wireless. I have 2 SuperMicro boards that do throw the error, but
similar setups on MSI and Gigabyte that don't.

The error appears harmless, so I don't know if it is something that should
even be addressed, but I thought I'd pass it along and let you devs make the call.
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.
Damjan Georgievski via arch-general
2018-08-12 12:54:08 UTC
On 12 August 2018 at 01:48, David C. Rankin
Post by David C. Rankin
Archdevs,
There seems to be a funny depends (or missing depends) issue for *some*
systems without wireless that have i3status installed.
This appears to be because i3stats depends on wireless_tools, which during
boot triggers an attempt
I don't see anything in the wireless_tools package that would trigger on boot.
there are no udev rules or systemd services.
damjan
Zorro via arch-general
2018-08-12 17:31:01 UTC
Post by David C. Rankin
Archdevs,
There seems to be a funny depends (or missing depends) issue for *some*
systems without wireless that have i3status installed.
This appears to be because i3stats depends on wireless_tools, which during
boot triggers an attempt
I don't see anything in the wireless_tools package that would trigger on boot.
there are no udev rules or systemd services.
Out of curiosity I checked my journalctl boot logs and this is what I see:

 kernel: cfg80211: failed to load regulatory.db
 kernel: platform regulatory.0: Direct firmware load for regulatory.db
failed with error -2
 kernel: cfg80211: Loaded X.509 cert 'sforshee: 00b28ddf47aef9cea7'
 kernel: cfg80211: Loading compiled-in X.509 certificates for
regulatory database
Dave M. via arch-general
It's been generating these entries since July 20th for me.
Geo Kozey via arch-general
2018-08-12 21:38:26 UTC
Sent: Sun Aug 12 20:37:03 CEST 2018
Subject: Re: [arch-general] i3stats depends on wireless_tools, causing "firmware load for regulatory.db failed" w/o wireless-regdb
Post by David C. Rankin
Archdevs,
   There seems to be a funny depends (or missing depends) issue for
*some*
systems without wireless that have i3status installed.
   This appears to be because i3stats depends on wireless_tools,
which during
boot triggers an attempt
I don't see anything in the wireless_tools package that would trigger on boot.
there are no udev rules or systemd services.
 kernel: cfg80211: failed to load regulatory.db
 kernel: platform regulatory.0: Direct firmware load for regulatory.db
failed with error -2
 kernel: cfg80211: Loaded X.509 cert 'sforshee: 00b28ddf47aef9cea7'
 kernel: cfg80211: Loading compiled-in X.509 certificates for
regulatory database
It's been generating these entries since July 20th for me.
Install https://www.archlinux.org/packages/core/any/wireless-regdb/

It's only for limiting wifi power, safely to ignore.

Yours sincerely

G. K.
David C. Rankin
2018-08-16 00:16:40 UTC
Post by Geo Kozey via arch-general
Post by Dave M. via arch-general
Post by Zorro via arch-general
 kernel: cfg80211: failed to load regulatory.db
 kernel: platform regulatory.0: Direct firmware load for regulatory.db
failed with error -2
 kernel: cfg80211: Loaded X.509 cert 'sforshee: 00b28ddf47aef9cea7'
 kernel: cfg80211: Loading compiled-in X.509 certificates for
regulatory database
It's been generating these entries since July 20th for me.
Install https://www.archlinux.org/packages/core/any/wireless-regdb/
It's only for limiting wifi power, safely to ignore.
Thank you,

That is what I did, but what curious why it would be needed on a server with
no wifi? I guess this all boils down to i3status having the wifi widget in the
status bar that triggers non-wifi systems to begin looking for them. It's
almost like i3status status should conditionally include the wifi widget, if,
and only if, the system has wifi to begin with.
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.
Geo Kozey via arch-general
2018-08-16 11:53:50 UTC
Sent: Thu Aug 16 02:16:40 CEST 2018
[...]
Kernel is checking for regulatory.db file on each boot. If it's not found then
warning is printed. It doesn't matter what your hardware is and what is installed
on your system. It's really safe to ignore this.

Yours sincerely

G. K.