Perl Help?
Hunter Jozwiak via arch-general
2017-06-09 13:11:00 UTC
Hi gang,

I got bit by Perl this morning after I did an update. I got an error
about having a handshake error with ListUtil.c, and I don't know how to
resolve this error. I can't open cpan, launch Chromium, and I'm not
sure what all else is broken at this point. Can someone help me towards
a solution?

Thanks,

Hunter
Martin Kühne via arch-general
2017-06-09 13:19:42 UTC
On Fri, Jun 9, 2017 at 3:11 PM, Hunter Jozwiak via arch-general
Post by Hunter Jozwiak via arch-general
Hi gang,
I got bit by Perl this morning after I did an update. I got an error
about having a handshake error with ListUtil.c, and I don't know how to
resolve this error. I can't open cpan, launch Chromium, and I'm not
sure what all else is broken at this point. Can someone help me towards
a solution?
Is this the error you're getting? https://pastebin.com/sfLRHtCq
If this is the case, your packages seem to be in an inconsistent
state. Your mirror may have only partially synced, so if you -Syu
throughout the day or choose a different mirror the problem should
sort itself out on its own.

cheers!
mar77i
Joey Pabalinas via arch-general
2017-06-09 16:38:43 UTC
On Fri, Jun 9, 2017 at 3:11 PM, Hunter Jozwiak via arch-general
Post by Hunter Jozwiak via arch-general
I got bit by Perl this morning after I did an update. I got an error
about having a handshake error with ListUtil.c, and I don't know how to
resolve this error.
If you have a ~/perl5/lib from using CPAN, files using the wrong Perl
version in there may also be causing this error; try:

“mv ~/perl5/lib{,-bak}”

to see if this is the cause. If this doesn't work, you can easily revert
the change with:

“mv ~/perl5/lib{-bak,}”

--
Joey Pabalinas
<***@p
Hunter Jozwiak via arch-general
2017-06-16 14:20:42 UTC
On Fri, 2017-06-09 at 12:38 -0400, Joey Pabalinas via arch-general
Post by Martin Kühne via arch-general
On Fri, Jun 9, 2017 at 3:11 PM, Hunter Jozwiak via arch-general
Post by Hunter Jozwiak via arch-general
I got bit by Perl this morning after I did an update. I got an error
about having a handshake error with ListUtil.c, and I don't know how to
resolve this error.
If you have a ~/perl5/lib from using CPAN, files using the wrong Perl
“mv ~/perl5/lib{,-bak}”
to see if this is the cause. If this doesn't work, you can easily revert
“mv ~/perl5/lib{-bak,}”
--
Joey Pabalinas
I was able to get rid of the problem by deleting /usr/lib/perl5 and
/usr/share/perl5 and reinstalling all packages. I also deleted the Perl
directory in my home directory, and all things are working nicely. Hope
this helps someone if they have this problem in the future.
Jude DaShiell
2017-06-24 15:51:12 UTC
What were all packages you reinstalled after deleting /usr/lib/perl5/
and /usr/share/perl5/?
Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2017 10:20:42
Subject: Re: [arch-general] Perl Help?
On Fri, 2017-06-09 at 12:38 -0400, Joey Pabalinas via arch-general
Post by Martin Kühne via arch-general
On Fri, Jun 9, 2017 at 3:11 PM, Hunter Jozwiak via arch-general
Post by Hunter Jozwiak via arch-general
I got bit by Perl this morning after I did an update. I got an error
about having a handshake error with ListUtil.c, and I don't know how to
resolve this error.
If you have a ~/perl5/lib from using CPAN, files using the wrong Perl
?mv ~/perl5/lib{,-bak}?
to see if this is the cause. If this doesn't work, you can easily revert
?mv ~/perl5/lib{-bak,}?
Jude DaShiell
2017-06-26 16:33:10 UTC
What I did wasn't perfect but works well enough for now. After removing
both directories I was able to run cpan with no problems. The cpanp
command came up with errors on several missing packages. I used cpan to
reinstall those missing packages and now have cpanp working as well as
cpan. I figure with the two of those perl installation and update
programs working should a problem arise in the future I'll probably be
able to fix it with one of the utilities.
Hunter Jozwiak via arch-general
2017-07-06 17:52:33 UTC
Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2017 10:20:42
[...]
All the packages on the system.

Jude DaShiell
2017-06-14 17:26:48 UTC
One of the comments I read on a few perl packages being updated by amish
was to update to pgrel=2 to force a recompile. That may have been
pgrel=3. I'd like to know how to do that with perl myself. Maybe that
will help.