Mount point of MTP devices?
Rijul Gulati via arch-general
2017-04-02 05:06:59 UTC
I have recently installed Arch on my desktop machine (KDE).
I want to access android device (MTP) from terminal. The device is
accessible from file manager (Dolphin). This means it has to be mounted
somewhere (right?).
It's not mounted in '/run/user/1000/gvfs' directory

I have following packages installed:
gvfs-mtp 1.30.3-1
libmtp 1.1.12-1
mtpfs 1.1-2

Where are mtp devices mounted?
Bennett Piater
2017-04-02 05:45:17 UTC
Post by Rijul Gulati via arch-general
Hello,
I have recently installed Arch on my desktop machine (KDE).
I want to access android device (MTP) from terminal. The device is
accessible from file manager (Dolphin). This means it has to be mounted
somewhere (right?).
It's not mounted in '/run/user/1000/gvfs' directory
gvfs-mtp 1.30.3-1
libmtp 1.1.12-1
mtpfs 1.1-2
Where are mtp devices mounted?
Open it in dolphin, open the terminal, type pwd?
GPG fingerprint: 871F 1047 7DB3 DDED 5FC4 47B2 26C7 E577 EF96 7808
SET
2017-04-02 07:00:12 UTC
Post by Bennett Piater
Open it in dolphin, open the terminal, type pwd?
pwd -> $HOME

I doubt MTP uses mount points.

But with KDEConnect, there is a mount point available with your approach.
Unfortunately, the phone's SD card is not available as from Android 6
(Google's ongoing paranoia treating an SD card as a dangerous alien).
David Runge
2017-04-02 07:53:45 UTC
Post by Rijul Gulati via arch-general
I want to access android device (MTP) from terminal. The device is
accessible from file manager (Dolphin). This means it has to be mounted
somewhere (right?).
You can also use adb (android-tools [1]) for interfacing with it.
There you have `adb push` and `adb pull` to copy to/from your device respectively.
You need to activate adb on your device first however.

[1] https://www.archlinux.org/packages/community/x86_64/android-tools/
https://sleepmap.de
Antonio Rojas
2017-04-02 08:25:30 UTC
El Sun, 02 Apr 2017 10:36:59 +0530, Rijul Gulati via arch-general
This means it has to be mounted somewhere (right?).
No. Dolphin accesses the device via kio, it doesn't mount it anywhere.
Thomas Bächler
2017-04-05 17:50:02 UTC
Post by Rijul Gulati via arch-general
Hello,
I have recently installed Arch on my desktop machine (KDE).
I want to access android device (MTP) from terminal. The device is
accessible from file manager (Dolphin). This means it has to be mounted
somewhere (right?).
No.

MTP is not a file system. There are some pseudo file systems that could
mount it, but obviously with limited functionality (after all, it's not
a file system). mtpfs ([1]) seems like an obvious choice, but I have
never used it, so I don't know if it even works.

As others have said, Dolphin accesses it via the kio framework.

[1] https://www.archlinux.org/packages/community/x86_64/mtpfs/