snapd - orphaned, outdated, how to help
Maciek Borzecki via arch-general
2017-12-19 17:20:18 UTC
Hi all,

I have noticed that the snapd package is currently orphaned. It is also
quite outdated, currently stuck at 2.26.1 while upstream is nearing 2.30
release. What can be done to update the package?

As it happens, I am currently maintaining snapd-git package in AUR [1].
On top of that I'm also working with the upstream on the development of
snapd. Since I am an Arch user, a couple of problems that were related
to Arch support have been resolved. I'm also slowly working on getting
Arch integrated into the CI pipeline [2] in hope of being able to run
most of the test cases natively.

Unfortunately I am not a TU, but I am willing to offer any help needed
to get the package updated.

[1]. https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/snapd-git
[2]. https://github.com/snapcore/snapd/pull/4285

Maciek Borzecki
Eli Schwartz via arch-general
2017-12-19 17:45:52 UTC
Post by Maciek Borzecki via arch-general
Hi all,
I have noticed that the snapd package is currently orphaned. It is also
quite outdated, currently stuck at 2.26.1 while upstream is nearing 2.30
release. What can be done to update the package?
As it happens, I am currently maintaining snapd-git package in AUR [1].
On top of that I'm also working with the upstream on the development of
snapd. Since I am an Arch user, a couple of problems that were related
to Arch support have been resolved. I'm also slowly working on getting
Arch integrated into the CI pipeline [2] in hope of being able to run
most of the test cases natively.
Unfortunately I am not a TU, but I am willing to offer any help needed
to get the package updated.
[1]. https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/snapd-git
[2]. https://github.com/snapcore/snapd/pull/4285
It was initially packaged by tredaelli, who is now retired from being a
TU. So we may end up dropping this back to the AUR soon, in which case
you'd be able to maintain it.

I don't know of any TU or dev that is interested in snapd (although
flatpak does see steady activity from heftig).

We're also currently doing general housekeeping right now, see
https://lists.archlinux.org/pipermail/arch-dev-public/2017-December/029052.html
Maciek Borzecki via arch-general
2017-12-19 18:49:00 UTC
On Tue, Dec 19, 2017 at 6:45 PM, Eli Schwartz via arch-general
Post by Eli Schwartz via arch-general
[...]
Thanks for a quick reply. Do you have a rough idea of when this may
happen?
Post by Eli Schwartz via arch-general
I don't know of any TU or dev that is interested in snapd (although
flatpak does see steady activity from heftig).
Let's wait for a while and see if anyone comes up. If not, I'm happy to
take care of snapd in AUR.

OTOH, I've been using Arch for >> 10 years and never grew an ambition to
become a packager or a TU. Well, maybe now's the time :)

Maciek Borzecki
Eli Schwartz via arch-general
2017-12-19 20:05:19 UTC
Post by Maciek Borzecki via arch-general
Thanks for a quick reply. Do you have a rough idea of when this may
happen?
barthalion said he'd drop whatever makes sense to drop, sometime January
-- after everyone goes through the orphan list and adopts anything
they'd like to preserve.
Post by Maciek Borzecki via arch-general
Let's wait for a while and see if anyone comes up. If not, I'm happy to
take care of snapd in AUR.
Warning: personal opinions ahead.

I somewhat suspect that most Devs/TUs share my personal feelings on the
matter, which is that of violent disapproval of Ubuntuware. :D
(And okay, it officially supports other distros and I think it's great
that you're working to get it running more smoothly on Arch, because
supporting multiple options is great, but flatpak just comes across as
more distro-agnostic, with a more pleasant user experience, reliance on
bubblewrap and seccomp instead of apparmor, and less hardcoded
assumptions about sources. <3 freedesktop standards FTW.)

So I figure it will be a lot harder to find a new maintainer for it in
[community], since that does require someone who is both a Dev/TU and
personally interested in the software.
Post by Maciek Borzecki via arch-general
OTOH, I've been using Arch for >> 10 years and never grew an ambition to
become a packager or a TU. Well, maybe now's the time :)
If you think you can contribute, applying to become a TU is an excellent
aspiration! Might want to showcase maintaining more than the one package
though. :)

If you do become interested in this, there is a Wiki page giving a
general overview of the process including tips on making a favorable
impression:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Trusted_Users#How_do_I_become_a_TU.3F