GUFW start problem
Add Reply
Alonzo Gomez via arch-general
2017-01-28 03:58:47 UTC
Hello.

Using Arch X86-64 up to date. Gnome 3, with GDM. UFW works fine.

Logging in (GDM) gives 3 choices:
- Gnome
- Gnome classic
- Gnome with xorg

If I log in as using the option "Gnome with xorg" at GDM, GUFW works fine.

But, if I log in choosing either "Gnome" or "Gnome classic", GUFW will
not start. Instead, whether I click the gui icon, or do "gufw" or
"sudo gufw" in a terminal, the authentication dialog box appears
asking for the password. After entering the password, the dialog box
disappears, and nothing further happens.

This is regardless of whether I use Linux, Linux-lts, or Linux-grsec.

Fwiw, I do have net-tools and python-gobject both installed.
Python-gi does not seem to be in the repos.

If necessary, I can reboot into either Gnome or Gnome classic, try
GUFW again, and post whatever error messages would be helpful.

BTW, no other application program exhibit this behavior.
Eli Schwartz via arch-general
2017-01-29 01:24:50 UTC
Post by Alonzo Gomez via arch-general
[...]
Something working with gnome-under-xorg but not gnome-under-wayland
sounds like an application that makes use of X directly, and hasn't been
ported to work with wayland instead. But I was under the impression that
Gnome automatically ran such applications under Xwayland...
Alonzo Gomez via arch-general
2017-01-29 19:51:15 UTC
Post by Eli Schwartz via arch-general
Something working with gnome-under-xorg but not gnome-under-wayland
sounds like an application that makes use of X directly, and hasn't been
ported to work with wayland instead. But I was under the impression that
Gnome automatically ran such applications under Xwayland...
I don't know, that's "above my pay grade". There is an open bug
report on this (https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/52599). Hopefully it
will be fixed RSN.