Orca, java-atk-wrapper, and OpenJDK8
Hunter Jozwiak via arch-general
2017-08-17 04:54:32 UTC
Greetings,

I am trying to get java-atk-wrapper and OpenJDK8 working together with
the Orca screenreader. I have noticed that the following files exist in
OpenJDK7 but not for my default JRE:
usr/lib/jvm/
usr/lib/jvm/java-7-openjdk/
usr/lib/jvm/java-7-openjdk/jre/
usr/lib/jvm/java-7-openjdk/jre/lib/
usr/lib/jvm/java-7-openjdk/jre/lib/accessibility.properties
usr/lib/jvm/java-7-openjdk/jre/lib/ext/
usr/lib/jvm/java-7-openjdk/jre/lib/ext/java-atk-wrapper.jar
What I've Tried:
I tried copying these files to /usr/lib/jvm/default/jre, but this seems
to throw errors and Orca won't read the application. I tried it with
jconsole, clion, and IntelliJ, all three were still inaccessible. Is
there another step to get things working? Do I need an older version of
java-atk-wrapper?

Thanks,

Hunter
Guillaume ALAUX
2017-08-17 08:29:45 UTC
On Thu, Aug 17, 2017 at 6:54 AM, Hunter Jozwiak via arch-general
Post by Hunter Jozwiak via arch-general
Greetings,
I am trying to get java-atk-wrapper and OpenJDK8 working together with
the Orca screenreader. I have noticed that the following files exist in
usr/lib/jvm/
usr/lib/jvm/java-7-openjdk/
usr/lib/jvm/java-7-openjdk/jre/
usr/lib/jvm/java-7-openjdk/jre/lib/
usr/lib/jvm/java-7-openjdk/jre/lib/accessibility.properties
usr/lib/jvm/java-7-openjdk/jre/lib/ext/
usr/lib/jvm/java-7-openjdk/jre/lib/ext/java-atk-wrapper.jar
I tried copying these files to /usr/lib/jvm/default/jre, but this seems
to throw errors and Orca won't read the application. I tried it with
jconsole, clion, and IntelliJ, all three were still inaccessible. Is
there another step to get things working? Do I need an older version of
java-atk-wrapper?
Thanks,
Hunter
Hi Hunter,

I am the Arch Linux packager for OpenJDK. I will look into it and
probably also adopt java-atk-wrapper as it is an orphan.

Guillaume
Guillaume ALAUX
2017-08-27 12:54:51 UTC
On Thu, Aug 17, 2017 at 10:29 AM, Guillaume ALAUX
Post by Guillaume ALAUX
[...]

I have just pushed version 0.33.3 of java-atk-wrapper with split
packages for OpenJDK7 and OpenJDK8.

People using OpenJDK7 should just update their system.
People using OpenJDK8 should install java-atk-wrapper-openjdk8.

I have tested this with the SwingSet example available here [0] as
well as with JadX from our repos [1]. Orca does speaks up these GUIs.

Friendly reminder: to setup Java ATK Wrapper, one needs to:

- configure the proper JRE with `archlinux-java`
- set `export _JAVA_OPTIONS="-Dassistive_technologies=org.GNOME.Accessibility.AtkWrapper"`
(append `-verbose:jni` for verbose output)

If you stumble on any bug with these, please open a bug report [2] and
assign it to me.

[0] https://wiki.gnome.org/Accessibility/JavaAtkWrapper
[1] https://www.archlinux.org/packages/community/any/jadx/
[2] https://bugs.archlinux.org/