Intel graphics issue
2017-02-21 16:29:40 UTC

this is my first Intel graphics and the first time I can't get rid of an
issue. I never experienced such an issue with NVIDIA or ATI graphics.

In the upper left corner of the screen, there's a flashing line,
whenever I use lower resolutions than 1152x864 at 60 Hz.

With my Arch Linux I'm using 1152x864 at 90 Hz and there's no
noticeable flashing line, but for the syslinux menu or e.g. a live media
I need to use different resolutions at 60 Hz.

If I switch from 1152x864 at 90 Hz to 1024x768 at 60 Hz, something I
seldom, but sometimes need to do, a flashing line is visible when
running Arch Linux, too.

I posted this to an Intel forum:

"Hi,

in the upper left corner of the screen, there's a flashing line visible
at the syslinux bootloader menu, as well as when running a Linux window
manager, e.g. openbox on Arch Linux or a Linux desktop environment,
e.g. Ubuntu Mate 16.10.

CPU: INTEL CELERON G1840 BX80646G1840
Mobo: GIGABYTE GA-B85M-D3H
CRT: LIFETEC/MEDION MD1998JB Type J91B

This doesn't happen, when using the same monitor with an ASUS M2A-VM
HDMI mobo and an AMD Athlon BE-2350 CPU.

How can I get rid of this annoying flashing line.

Regards,

Ralf" - https://communities.intel.com/message/455301#455301

This is the currently used xorg.conf:

[***@archlinux ~]$ grep -v "#" /etc/X11/xorg.conf
Section "Module"
Load "extmod"
Load "dri"
Load "dbe"
Load "dri2"
Load "glx"
Load "record"
Load "GLcore"
EndSection
Section "Monitor"
Identifier "Monitor0"
VendorName "Plug 'n' Play"
ModelName "Plug 'n' Play"
DisplaySize 305 230
HorizSync 29-98
VertRefresh 50-120
modeline "1152x864" 128.42 1152 1232 1360 1568 864 865 868 910
Gamma 1.0
EndSection

Section "Device"

Identifier "Card0"
Driver "intel"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
Identifier "Screen0"
Device "Card0"
Monitor "Monitor0"

Defaultdepth 24
SubSection "Display"
Depth 24
Modes "1152x864"
EndSubSection

EndSection

Section "ServerFlags"
Option "BlankTime" "0"
Option "StandbyTime" "0"
Option "SuspendTime" "0"
Option "OffTime" "0"
EndSection

Regards,
Ralf
Maxwell Anselm via arch-general
2017-02-21 19:14:24 UTC
How can I get rid of this annoying flashing line.
Does the problem persist if you remove your X config so it just runs the
defaults? In my experience Intel generally requires little to no
configuration to work well with X.
Ralf Mardorf
2017-02-21 19:42:19 UTC
Post by Maxwell Anselm via arch-general
Does the problem persist if you remove your X config so it just runs
the defaults? In my experience Intel generally requires little to no
configuration to work well with X.
Hi,

it happens also when booting an Ubuntu Mate 16.10 Live DVD.
I'll test my Arch Linux install without xorg.conf.

With my current xorg.conf only 1152x864 provides a vertical frequency
Post by Maxwell Anselm via arch-general
60 Hz and the issue might be related to 60 Hz.
Regards,
Ralf

[***@archlinux ~]$ xrandr
Screen 0: minimum 8 x 8, current 1152 x 864, maximum 32767 x 32767
HDMI1 disconnected primary (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
HDMI2 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
VGA1 connected 1152x864+0+0 (normal left inverted right x axis y axis) 0mm x 0mm
1152x864 90.00*+
1024x768 60.00
800x600 60.32 56.25
848x480 60.00
640x480 59.94
VIRTUAL1 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
Ralf Mardorf
2017-02-21 19:43:41 UTC
[...]
PS: The issue also is present for the syslinux menu.