[DRAFT] Deprecation of the ABS tool and rsync server
Add Reply
Pablo Roberto Lezaeta Reyes via arch-general
2017-05-10 02:27:21 UTC
There we go. Far from perfect, happy to hear suggestions from spirits of
poetry.
---
Due to high maintenance costs of rsync server and scripts related to
Arch Build System, we have decided to deprecate the `abs` tool and rsync
as endorsed way of obtaining PKGBUILDs tree.
The `asp` tool, available in [extra], provides similar functionality to
`abs`. `asp export pkgname` can be used as direct alternative; more
information about usage can be found in [its documentation][asp].
Additionally Subversion sparse checkouts, as described [here][svn], can
be used to achieve similar effect. For fetching all PKGBUILDs, the best
way is cloning [svntogit][git] mirrors.
While `extra/abs` package has been already dropped, rsync endpoint will
be disabled by the end of the month.
[asp]: https://github.com/falconindy/asp/blob/master/man/asp.1.txt
[svn]: https://www.archlinux.org/svn/
[git]: https://git.archlinux.org/svntogit/
You should clarify if this affect user cloning the servers repos by rsync
to set they non-tiered local repos (*.pkg.tag.xzs) or just the pkgbuilds
repo clones (PKGBUILDs).

Also mention devtools still depend on subversion despite you mention that
for cloning one should use git, that intentional or inconsistenty?
*Pablo Lezaeta*
Bartłomiej Piotrowski
2017-05-10 07:14:53 UTC
For some reason I sent this to arch-dev-public instead, sending again here…

On 2017-05-10 04:27, Pablo Roberto Lezaeta Reyes via arch-general
Post by Pablo Roberto Lezaeta Reyes via arch-general
You should clarify if this affect user cloning the servers repos by
rsync to set they non-tiered local repos (*.pkg.tag.xzs) or just the
pkgbuilds repo clones (PKGBUILDs).
That's better phrased in Florian's revision, but both mention PKGBUILDs,
so I'm not sure if there is anything more to explain.
Post by Pablo Roberto Lezaeta Reyes via arch-general
Also mention devtools still depend on subversion despite you mention
that for cloning one should use git, that intentional or
inconsistenty?
devtools depending on svn has nothing to do with ABS; the paragraph you
refer to describes methods of obtaining full PKGBUILDs tree.

Bartłomiej