Cinnamon desktop and keybindings
Jeanette C. via arch-general
2017-08-28 23:14:30 UTC
Hey hey,
I've started trying Cinnamon as a desktop. Since I'm blind, I rely on the
keyboard shortcuts. The standard keybindings doesn't appear to give me much
access though.

Using gsettings I've identified a few Cinnamon related schemas. Though not all
of them are taking effect. I've read about some keybinding and customisation
issues online. So...
Which keybinding schemas have a real effect on the environment? Is there
perhaps a configuration for keyboard access to Cinnamon, without media-keys
(those special keys some keyboards have)?

Any practical advise on this is very much appreciated.

Thank you and best wishes,

Jeanette

--------
* website: http://juliencoder.de - for summer is a state of sound

Where are you now, what have you found
Where is your heart, when I'm not around <3
(Britney Spears)
John Briggs
2017-08-29 11:53:32 UTC
Post by Jeanette C. via arch-general
Hey hey,
I've started trying Cinnamon as a desktop. Since I'm blind, I rely on the
keyboard shortcuts. The standard keybindings doesn't appear to give me
much access though.
Using gsettings I've identified a few Cinnamon related schemas. Though
not all of them are taking effect. I've read about some keybinding and
customisation issues online. So...
Which keybinding schemas have a real effect on the environment? Is there
perhaps a configuration for keyboard access to Cinnamon, without
media-keys (those special keys some keyboards have)?
Any practical advise on this is very much appreciated.
Hi Jeanette,
Most desktops have a window manager which handles the key bindings look at its docs for the key bindings you want. I am not familiar with the cinnamon desktop so I can not nelp you with its the key bindings

HTH

John
João Miguel via arch-general
2017-08-29 22:44:47 UTC

Since you ask for advice in general, I would recommend maybe trying a
different window manager or desktop environment. Cinnamon is nice
especially because of its visual appeal, and for its default visual
similarity to the traditional Windows desktop; but not so much for
customising stuff.

What do you think about trying a more easily configurable desktop
environment or window manager? I myself like keybinds a lot, and DEs
like LXDE and WMs such as xmonad and dwm allow one to easily configure
them — you can find a lot more about DEs and WMs like these in the
respective Arch Wiki pages. As a bonus, they're also lighter, faster,
and harder to crash.

Regards,
João Miguel
Jeanette C. via arch-general
2017-08-30 00:24:59 UTC
Aug 30 2017, João Miguel via arch-general has written:
Post by João Miguel via arch-general
like LXDE and WMs such as xmonad and dwm allow one to easily configure
them — you can find a lot more about DEs and WMs like these in the
respective Arch Wiki pages. As a bonus, they're also lighter, faster,
and harder to crash.
Hi Joao,
thanks for that. That sounds like practical and sound advise. I'll give
those a go for a start. Presently, I'm back with MATE, which works OK,
but something light, fast and robust would be great. :)

Best wishes,

Jeanette

--------
* website: http://juliencoder.de - for summer is a state of sound

Can't make you love me
I'm just a girl with a crush on you <3
(Britney Spears)
beest
2017-08-30 02:27:08 UTC
Post by Jeanette C. via arch-general
Hi Joao,
thanks for that. That sounds like practical and sound advise. I'll give
those a go for a start. Presently, I'm back with MATE, which works OK,
but something light, fast and robust would be great. :)
I do wonder if a tiling window manager would be ideal under these
circumstances, given that most are broadly configurable and designed
around keyboard navigation. What I can't attest to is how well they
cooperate with assistive technologies, and my knowledge on the subject
is about 25 years out of date.

However, at the end of the day there's always GNOME, which seems to have
more resources than anyone with regards to accessibility and is actively
tested with screen readers and Braille displays. Of course it also isn't
exactly known for being "light", but there it is.
mike lojkovic via arch-general
2017-08-30 04:44:48 UTC
When I get my system backup, I'll email you on how to configure custom
keybindings for Cinnamon. You basically just write a bash script and call
it when the key combo is pressed.
Jude DaShiell
2017-08-30 09:40:03 UTC
stumpwm was written entirely in lisp and is text-oriented. I almost got
that talking earlier though. Mate I got talking on archlinux and tried
to get gnome talking once installed too but that didn't work. If I find
out how to get gnome talking using archlinux and orca after a basic
command line installation in which espeak is working and if I find out
how to contribute to the archlinux wiki I think I'll write an article on
how to do that and contribute. This for my own future reference and to
help any other interested people in the future.