Why is /lib/libncurses.so a linker script?
Magnus Therning
2017-04-12 09:33:28 UTC
I'm just curious what the reason is.

Oh, and yes, it does cause some problems: https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/53598

/M

--
Magnus Therning OpenPGP: 0x927912051716CE39
email: ***@therning.org jabber: ***@therning.org
twitter: magthe http://therning.org/magnus

The greatest performance improvement of all is when a system goes from
not-working to working.
— John Ousterhout
Allan McRae
2017-04-12 09:49:44 UTC
Post by Magnus Therning
I'm just curious what the reason is.
Because absolutely everything should link to the wide character version.
Post by Magnus Therning
Oh, and yes, it does cause some problems: https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/53598
Stupid software is stupid.

Magnus Therning
2017-04-12 10:09:46 UTC
Post by Allan McRae
Post by Magnus Therning
I'm just curious what the reason is.
Because absolutely everything should link to the wide character version.
Wouldn't a symbolic link have the same result?

/M

--
Magnus Therning OpenPGP: 0x927912051716CE39
email: ***@therning.org jabber: ***@therning.org
twitter: magthe http://therning.org/magnus

Some people, when confronted with a problem, think,
“I know, I’ll use LISP.” Now their problem is recursive.
Allan McRae
2017-04-12 10:16:49 UTC
Post by Magnus Therning
Post by Allan McRae
Post by Magnus Therning
I'm just curious what the reason is.
Because absolutely everything should link to the wide character version.
Wouldn't a symbolic link have the same result?
Then you get some software thinking its linked to libncurses.so and some
thinking its linked to libncursesw.so. Because they are the same thing,
conflict occur and shit hits the fan.

Magnus Therning
2017-04-12 10:28:48 UTC
Post by Allan McRae
Post by Magnus Therning
Post by Allan McRae
Post by Magnus Therning
I'm just curious what the reason is.
Because absolutely everything should link to the wide character version.
Wouldn't a symbolic link have the same result?
Then you get some software thinking its linked to libncurses.so and
some thinking its linked to libncursesw.so. Because they are the same
thing, conflict occur and shit hits the fan.
I don't see how. In *both* cases `ldd` will show that the executable is
linked against libncurses.so, and in both cases the runtime linker will
actually load libncursesw.so (in the case of a link, it follows it; in
case of a linker script, it interprets it). To me it seems the outcome
is identical: libncursesw.so.6.0 is loaded into the process.

/M

--
Magnus Therning OpenPGP: 0x927912051716CE39
email: ***@therning.org jabber: ***@therning.org
twitter: magthe http://therning.org/magnus

Some people, when confronted with a problem, think,
“I know, I’ll use Haskell.” Now their problem is entirely academic.