Can I attach Windows partition space with home without reinstalling?
Junayeed Ahnaf via arch-general
2017-09-28 16:21:57 UTC

So I have arch installed on a 50GB space, I also have 400 GB  as a
windows partition, I want to know is there a way for me to delete that
windows drives and attach them with either / or /home so that I can use
Dmitry Yu. Nurislamov via arch-general
2017-09-28 16:50:29 UTC
If your Arch partition is *before* the Windows partition, you can just
delete
that Windows one and either use GParted to resize the Arch partition
(the easiest way) or, if you don't want to use it, delete the Arch
partition too
with fdisk(8) etc. and create it again full-sized. This way you'll change
the size of the partition. After that, you also need to resize the file
system.
You can do this with resize2fs(8).

Note that you'll need your root partition unmounted, so these steps
need to be done from LiveCD.

But if the Arch partition if *after* the Windows one, you can move
your /home contents there (unmount it first, doesn't require using LiveCD)
and edit your fstab(5) accordingly.

Good luck.
Post by Junayeed Ahnaf via arch-general
Hello,
So I have arch installed on a 50GB space, I also have 400 GB  as a
windows partition, I want to know is there a way for me to delete that
windows drives and attach them with either / or /home so that I can use
them from Linux without reinstalling?
Thanks
Junayeed Ahnaf via arch-general
2017-09-28 17:36:10 UTC
I mean the order of the partitions. In case you're not sure,
you can run `fdisk -l /dev/sdX` as root (replace "X" with your drive
letter).

The first scenario (Arch before Windows) will look like this:
    /dev/sdX1 50G  # arch
    /dev/sdX2 400G # windows

The second:
    /dev/sdX1 400G # windows
    /dev/sdX2 50G  # arch

Hope you understand now. :)
2017-09-28 17:39:01 UTC
Post by Junayeed Ahnaf via arch-general
Can you please explain what do you mean by before and after
"Before" and "behind" by the order.

Is Windows on the first partition and Arch on the second (+ perhaps
additional partitions) or vice versa?

There only could be one issue, if you move the beginning of the
partition containing Arch Linux, you might need to reinstall the boot
loader (really the boot loader, not the boot loader package ;).

Assuming no Arch Wiki should explain it, you will find a lot of
explanations for Ubuntu, especially if you should use GRUB.
L. Rose
2017-09-28 16:53:05 UTC
Post by Junayeed Ahnaf via arch-general
Hello,
So I have arch installed on a 50GB space, I also have 400 GB  as a
windows partition, I want to know is there a way for me to delete that
windows drives and attach them with either / or /home so that I can use
them from Linux without reinstalling?
Thanks
Of course you can. Use a partitioning tool (e.g. gparted) from a live
USB Stick (e.g. Knoppix) and delete the Windows partition. Everything on
the Windows-Partition will be deleted! Then move the / and
/home-partitions on your disk so that the free space is next to the
partition you want to merge it with (if necessary). Then resize the / or
/home-partition to fill the entire free space. Make sure to have a
backup of your data, because data loss may occur if failures happen
while modifying the partition map or moving the data. Also prepare that
this process may take several hours depending of the size of your data
and the speed of the disk. Do never interrupt this process, since data
loss will be guranteed.

Regards,
Lukas
ITwrx.org
2017-09-28 16:53:21 UTC
Post by Junayeed Ahnaf via arch-general
Hello,
So I have arch installed on a 50GB space, I also have 400 GB  as a
windows partition, I want to know is there a way for me to delete that
windows drives and attach them with either / or /home so that I can use
them from Linux without reinstalling?
Thanks
off the top of my head...

if you just want free space that is usable to arch and it being a
separate partition is fine with you, then you can:

format the 400GB (i usually use ext4):
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/file_systems

rerun grub-mkconfig:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/GRUB#Generate_the_main_configuration_file

create fstab entry for the 400GB partition:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/fstab

if you require the free space to be re-merged with the existing arch
filesystem, then you would need to delete the 400GB partition and leave
it as free space: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/partitioning

then grow the arch partition:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/GNU_Parted#Growing_partitions
Ralf Mardorf
2017-09-28 17:26:50 UTC
Post by ITwrx.org
rerun grub-mkconfig
Did the OP mention grub? SICR :p
Ralf Mardorf
2017-09-28 17:59:25 UTC
Post by ITwrx.org
rerun grub-mkconfig
Did the OP mention grub? SICR :p
I have grub , which currently displays both my arch and windows 10 to
boot from , so I'll need to rerun grub config to get rid of the
windows partition it seems.
Please reply to the mailing list and write your answer below the
quotes, not above the quotes.

You need to edit grub.cfg or run this GRUB auto-thingy to get rid of
the GRUB menu entry. Getting rid of the partition has nothing to do
with GRUB or any other boot loader at all.

If you move the start/beginning of the root partition of your Arch
install, then you need to reinstall the boot loader.

I'm a little bit surprised to read such a request from an Arch Linux
user. Did you already read the Arch Wiki?

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/partitioning
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/GRUB/Tips_and_tricks

Disclaimer

I didn't read those Wikis, since I know how to partition, delete,
resize etc. the kind of partitions I'm using and because I'm using
syslinux. Google or another search engine could help you to find more
related Wikis. It's better first to get some information and after
that to send a request to the mailing list by mentioning that you read
something, but it's still unclear to you.
Junayeed Ahnaf via arch-general
2017-09-29 08:52:06 UTC