Archlinux ISO 2018.06.01 lost rankmirrors
Óscar García Amor
2018-06-01 18:28:31 UTC
Hi!

With the split of pacman packagein pacman and pacman-contrib, the
Archlinux ISO of current month (2018.06.01) lost the rankmirrors.

I think that the ISO should include the pacman-contrib package because
the use of rankmirrors is a recommended task in Arch installation.

Greetings.
Óscar García Amor | ogarcia at moire.org | http://ogarcia.me
Eli Schwartz via arch-general
2018-06-01 19:39:21 UTC
Post by Óscar García Amor
Hi!
With the split of pacman packagein pacman and pacman-contrib, the
Archlinux ISO of current month (2018.06.01) lost the rankmirrors.
I think that the ISO should include the pacman-contrib package because
the use of rankmirrors is a recommended task in Arch installation.
No it isn't recommended. BTW this was discussed here:
https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?pid=1788961#p1788961

I see no reason to add it to the ISO. If you really need it, install it
to the chroot and run it. But you should probably use reflector instead,
since it can download new mirrors, rank them based on many criteria, etc.
Bug Wrangler and Trusted User
Óscar García Amor
2018-06-02 11:18:13 UTC
Post by Eli Schwartz via arch-general
https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?pid=1788961#p1788961
I don't know why I thought that installation guide have one mention to
rankmirrors. My memory have holes... :-D
Post by Eli Schwartz via arch-general
I see no reason to add it to the ISO. If you really need it, install it
to the chroot and run it. But you should probably use reflector instead,
since it can download new mirrors, rank them based on many criteria, etc.
IMHO, I think that is a good idea that the installation media have
mirror tools since the mirror selection may be a recommended task. I
did not know the existence of reflector, but it could be a good option
to include in the ISO.

Anyway is a very small package that can be installed after boot ISO.

Greetings.
--
Óscar García Amor | ogarcia at moire.org | http://ogarcia.me