gscan2pdf - could it be included in the official arch repositories?
Stephan Fuchs via arch-general
2017-10-01 13:18:26 UTC
Hello!
I would like to ask if the program gscan2pdf could be included in
the
official arch repositories.
There are currently no
alternatives.
best regards
Stephan Fuchs
Hi,
simple-scan (gtk3)
scanlite (requires some kde libraries)
gambas3-gb-scanner (a frontend for scanimage command, written in the
programming language gambas3 )
What functionality does gscan2pdf bring that none of 3 alternatives
have ?
LVV
Hi.

With all programs above I can scan - right.
I can also make an PDF of the scan.

With gscan2pdf I can scan many pages at once (fledbed scanner or ADF)
and convert all pages directly to PDF. In addition, OCR is performed.
And a pdf is generated with the text from OCR as hocr layer.
The special feature is that a searchable PDF can be created at once.
As far as I know it is not possible with simple-scan nor with
scanlite nor with gambas3-gb-scanner.
The special thing is that I can correct then OCR Text directly before I
save the file.
And a few other things that simplify the work.

It is not just another scan program.
It is the only program I know what allows archiving in this way.
best regards
Stephan
David C. Rankin
2017-10-27 04:26:19 UTC
Post by Stephan Fuchs via arch-general
With gscan2pdf I can scan many pages at once (fledbed scanner or ADF)
and convert all pages directly to PDF. In addition, OCR is performed.
And a pdf is generated with the text from OCR as hocr layer.
The special feature is that a searchable PDF can be created at once.
As far as I know it is not possible with simple-scan nor with
scanlite nor with gambas3-gb-scanner.
The special thing is that I can correct then OCR Text directly before I
save the file.
Those are some of the most needed core capabilities of any serious document
management system. To it's credit, is appears to be very actively developed on
sourceforge.
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.
Ben Oliver via arch-general
2017-10-27 05:35:42 UTC
I can vouch for it too. I have to scan all the mail at work and before
we got a printer that scanned to FTP I went through loads and loads of
options trying to find some suitable scanning software.

Eventually I settled on gscan2pdf because it seemed to be one of the
few that could reliably make multi-page PDFs.