[arch-dev-public] removed mariadb 10.1.27 from [testing]
Add Reply
Genes Lists via arch-general
2017-09-26 20:41:53 UTC
Hello everybody,
after the release of 10.1.27 upstream was made aware of a regression,
so
the release has been pulled from the downloads system. The fix will
be
in 10.1.28.
I removed mariadb 10.1.27 packages from [testing].
Thank you Christian - related note - can you share thoughts around
10.2?

thanks.
--
Gene
***@sapience.com
Christian Hesse
2017-09-26 21:06:20 UTC
Post by Genes Lists via arch-general
Hello everybody,
after the release of 10.1.27 upstream was made aware of a regression,
so
the release has been pulled from the downloads system. The fix will
be
in 10.1.28.
I removed mariadb 10.1.27 packages from [testing].
Thank you Christian - related note - can you share thoughts around
10.2?
We tried to upgrade to MariaDB 10.2.6, which ended in a disaster. The client
library has been renamed from libmysqlclient to libmariadb and it has seen
structural changes for data types. Programs fail to link or - if they do
link - crash or misbehave, including data corruption.

I do not see any way to upgrade any time soon. IMHO data structures have to
be made opaque in favor of accessing data via functions.

OpenSSL suffered a similar problem, which has been solved with version 1.1.0.
MariaDB upstream would have to do something similar.
--
main(a){char*c=/* Schoene Gruesse */"B?IJj;MEH"
"CX:;",b;for(a/* Best regards my address: */=0;b=c[a++];)
putchar(b-1/(/* Chris cc -ox -xc - && ./x */b/42*2-3)*42);}
Genes Lists via arch-general
2017-09-27 13:31:16 UTC
Post by Christian Hesse
We tried to upgrade to MariaDB 10.2.6, which ended in a disaster. The client
library has been renamed from libmysqlclient to libmariadb and it has seen
structural changes for data types. Programs fail to link or - if they do
link - crash or misbehave, including data corruption.
I do not see any way to upgrade any time soon. IMHO data structures have to
be made opaque in favor of accessing data via functions.
Thanks - so it's clear - are you saying that the recommended method of
running[1] mysql_upgrade does not in fact work properly?

[1] https://mariadb.com/kb/en/library/upgrading-from-mariadb-101-to-mar
iadb-102/
--
Gene
***@sapience.com
Christian Hesse
2017-09-27 13:43:40 UTC
Post by Christian Hesse
We tried to upgrade to MariaDB 10.2.6, which ended in a disaster. The client
library has been renamed from libmysqlclient to libmariadb and it has seen
structural changes for data types. Programs fail to link or - if they do
link - crash or misbehave, including data corruption.
I do not see any way to upgrade any time soon. IMHO data structures have to
be made opaque in favor of accessing data via functions.
Thanks - so it's clear - are you saying that the recommended method of
running[1] mysql_upgrade does not in fact work properly?
[1]
https://mariadb.com/kb/en/library/upgrading-from-mariadb-101-to-mariadb-102/
No, mysql_upgrade updates the table data (schema 'mysql'), that's not a
problem. The server itself works just fine.

But API/ABI in library /usr/lib/libmariadb.so and header files
in /usr/include/mysql/ changed. Lots of programs break because of this.