Why does Arch still use the GTK2 version of xfce4-whiskermenu-plugin?
DEVIN GRANT via arch-general
2018-02-15 05:45:09 UTC
Hello, I apologize if this is not the appropriate place for starting such a
discussion, but I felt I needed to voice my opinion. I think the GTK3 build
of the Whisker Menu plugin is very stable and find it very odd that Arch
still uses the antiquated GTK2 build of the plugin.

The GTK3 build will add many noticeable improvements for end users,
including better support for desktop themes. Replacing the old version will
also make it easier to ditch an old toolkit like GTK2 from our systems.
Eli Schwartz via arch-general
2018-02-15 12:15:57 UTC
Post by DEVIN GRANT via arch-general
Hello, I apologize if this is not the appropriate place for starting such a
discussion, but I felt I needed to voice my opinion. I think the GTK3 build
of the Whisker Menu plugin is very stable and find it very odd that Arch
still uses the antiquated GTK2 build of the plugin.
The GTK3 build will add many noticeable improvements for end users,
including better support for desktop themes. Replacing the old version will
also make it easier to ditch an old toolkit like GTK2 from our systems.
If it is as open-and-shut a case as all that, you should report a bug
asking for this. ;)

But of course, you should first check to see if we have an existing bug
for it (open or closed), and as it happens, we *do* already have one
here: https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/53088

It was closed as Deferred, due to depending on gtk2 via exo, but it
looks like exo 0.11.3-1 from June should have fixed that. So, please
take a look and see if it works now, and if it does, then use the
"Request reopen" form on that bug.

This seems like a reasonable request, so no need to stand on ceremony
and gain community backing before you ask. :)
Bug Wrangler and Trusted User
David C. Rankin
2018-02-18 08:53:46 UTC
Post by DEVIN GRANT via arch-general
ditch an old toolkit like GTK2 from our systems.
That would be a really really bad thing until they get the gtk3 combo and text
entry box sizes to scale and fit into the same footprint the gtk2 versions do.
--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.