[RFC] Make Archlinux websites mobile friendly
Alif M. A.
2017-03-17 15:57:34 UTC
I think it would be nice to have Arch websites mobile friendly, so that
it can be viewed comfortably on any devices with different screen size.

For starting point, let's make the wiki, which is the main source of
information, mobile friendly.

It's just a matter of adding meta viewport tag and another CSS file(s)
for smaller screen
Sebastian Lau via arch-general
2017-03-17 16:32:42 UTC
Post by Alif M. A.
I think it would be nice to have Arch websites mobile friendly, so that
it can be viewed comfortably on any devices with different screen size.
For starting point, let's make the wiki, which is the main source of
information, mobile friendly.
It's just a matter of adding meta viewport tag and another CSS file(s)
for smaller screen sizes.
Hi Alif,

On android there is an app called "ArchWiki Viewer" [0] that is nice to
use. For all uses of packages and aur I'm completly fine with the
scrollable view, but if "somebody" does the css, I won't complain ;)

[0] https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.jtmcn.archwiki.viewer

Sebastian
Abdelhakim Qbaich
2017-03-17 16:54:11 UTC
Post by Sebastian Lau via arch-general
On android there is an app called "ArchWiki Viewer" [0] that is nice
to use. For all uses of packages and aur I'm completly fine with the
scrollable view, but if "somebody" does the css, I won't complain ;)
A solution would be to use MediaWiki's MobileFronted [0] extension,
possibly until someone tackles the issue and writes the CSS.

[0] https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:MobileFrontend

Abdelhakim
Alif M. A.
2017-03-18 06:02:36 UTC
Post by Abdelhakim Qbaich
Hi,
Post by Sebastian Lau via arch-general
On android there is an app called "ArchWiki Viewer" [0] that is nice
to use. For all uses of packages and aur I'm completly fine with the
scrollable view, but if "somebody" does the css, I won't complain ;)
Who need a separate app when browsers
are available.

I'll experiment with archlinuxjp stylesheet locally, since their web is already optimized. Let's see if their styles can br applied to archlinux main site.

Is there git repository related to Arch wiki base index.html and core stylesheets?
Mobile frontend seems to be a good thing to be enabled, which is easier and faster than designing mobile stylesheet from scrat
Eli Schwartz via arch-general
2017-03-17 17:09:17 UTC
Post by Alif M. A.
I think it would be nice to have Arch websites mobile friendly, so that
it can be viewed comfortably on any devices with different screen size.
For starting point, let's make the wiki, which is the main source of
information, mobile friendly.
It's just a matter of adding meta viewport tag and another CSS file(s)
for smaller screen sizes.
Can I assume since you tagged this as an RFC, you have something more
substantial you haven't yet mentioned, rather than merely an idle
suggestion that "it would be nice if we were more mobile-friendly"?

Or should I just ignore this thread right from the start, since it won't
go anywhere anyway?
Alif M. A.
2017-03-18 07:27:20 UTC
Post by Alif M. A.
for smaller screen sizes.
Can I assume since you tagged this as an RFC, you have something more
substantial you haven't yet mentioned, rather than merely an idle
suggestion that "it would be nice if we were more mobile-friendly"?
Ok. Got what I need.

I can use mobile.css from https://github.com/ArchLinuxJP/archwiki-jp/blob/master/skins/ArchLinux/ to be applied and modify https://git.archlinux.org/vhosts/wiki.archlinux.org.git/tree/skins/ArchLinux/SkinArchLinux.php to apply mobile.css for screen smaller than 790px.

This need to be tested first on my local Archwiki. If it works, I'll submit a pull request so that my changes can be included.
Feel free to ignore this threa
Alif M. A.
2017-03-18 18:50:02 UTC
Post by Alif M. A.
I think it would be nice to have Arch websites mobile friendly, so that
it can be viewed comfortably on any devices with different screen size.
For starting point, let's make the wiki, which is the main source of
information, mobile friendly.
It's just a matter of adding meta viewport tag and another CSS file(s)
for smaller screen sizes.
Here is current my WIP screenshot.

Quite usable for comfortable mobile use.
Sajjad Heydari via arch-general
2017-03-18 19:11:52 UTC
Looks nice, compared to how the current version looks on my phone.
Post by Alif M. A.
Post by Alif M. A.
I think it would be nice to have Arch websites mobile friendly, so that
it can be viewed comfortably on any devices with different screen size.
For starting point, let's make the wiki, which is the main source of
information, mobile friendly.
It's just a matter of adding meta viewport tag and another CSS file(s)
for smaller screen sizes.
Here is current my WIP screenshot.
https://transfer.sh/4PHet/wip-archwiki-mobile.png
Quite usable for comfortable mobile use.
--
Best
Sajjad 'MCSH' Heydari
Alif M. A.
2017-03-18 19:37:53 UTC
I've created pull request on the bug tracker[1]. Hopefully it will be
accepted and merged so users will be more comfortable when viewing the
wiki on mobile devices.

[1] https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/46697
Alif M. A.
2017-03-19 05:53:32 UTC
For those interested, here is my working
repository.

https://bitbucket.org/alive4ever/wiki.archlinux.org/branch/mobile-friendly

Review and suggestions are appreciated.
[1] https://bugs.
Alif M. A.
2017-03-19 13:48:03 UTC
It seems that Pierre has experimented with MobileFrontend on
wiki.archlinux.de site.

So far so good, the view is close to Wikipedia and quite usable,
although Arch Linux customization is gone.

Hope it will land on the main Archwiki soon.

Here is my experiment with mobile frontend on my local Archwiki server.

The downside of MobileFrontend that it's not responsive. Changing
viewport from desktop viewport to mobile viewport needs page reload to
make use of proper skin.
Robert Wong via arch-general

for smaller screen sizes.
Alif M. A.
2017-03-27 19:07:53 UTC
Post by Alif M. A.
I think it would be nice to have Arch websites mobile friendly, so that
it can be viewed comfortably on any devices with different screen size.
For starting point, let's make the wiki, which is the main source of
information, mobile friendly.
It's just a matter of adding meta viewport tag and another CSS file(s)
for smaller screen sizes.
The wiki page has been mobile friendly for a while, with the help of
MobileFrontend extension for Mediawiki.

Now, let's put some work for the BBS.

I have been able to import archbbs-jp mobile.css for use with Arch
FluxBB. Below is the screenshot of how Arch BBS displayed with
mobile.css :

Viewing the forum works fine so far.

For Arch web admins/developers and those interested in making Arch
websites mobile friendly, my work is available under 'mobile-friendly'
branch on this git repository :

https://bitbucket.org/alive4ever/bbs.archlinux.org

Feel free to suggest anything to make it better.