(Off-topic) Command-line torrent download tool
Add Reply
Kryptxy via arch-general
2017-07-24 17:45:17 UTC
[Off-topic]
Command-line torrent download tool for linux and windows OS. The tool fetches torrents from TPB proxy sites. Its written in Python3.

Here - https://github.com/kryptxy/torrench

Suggestions/feedback is appreciated.
Jelle van der Waa
2017-07-24 18:07:42 UTC
Post by Kryptxy via arch-general
[Off-topic]
Command-line torrent download tool for linux and windows OS. The tool fetches torrents from TPB proxy sites. Its written in Python3.
Here - https://github.com/kryptxy/torrench
I've really want some adoption, I suggest you upload a PKGBUILD to the
AUR.

P.S. I'm not a 100% fan of these forms of advertisement (seeing how it's
also CC'd to the ubuntu mailing list)
Jelle van der Waa
Martin Kühne via arch-general
2017-07-24 18:23:41 UTC
except KeyboardInterrupt:
print("\nAborted!\n")
sys.exit()

Don't check if your eyes may bleed from imposter code.

cheers!
mar77i
Storm Dragon via arch-general
2017-07-24 18:25:48 UTC
Howdy,
I'm glad there's now something other than rtorrent. Rtorrent works usually, but there are some torrents that just refuse to work with it, hopefully this new, in development CLI tool will fil in the gap.
Are you planning to make a PKGBUILD for it in the AUR, or do you want someone else to do it?
Storm
Post by Kryptxy via arch-general
[Off-topic]
Command-line torrent download tool for linux and windows OS. The tool fetches torrents from TPB proxy sites. Its written in Python3.
Here - https://github.com/kryptxy/torrench
Suggestions/feedback is appreciated.
Hope someone finds this useful :)
--
Powered by Arch Linux! I am registered Linux user number 508465: https://linuxcounter.net/user/508465.html
My blog, Thoughts of a Dragon: http://www.stormdragon.tk/
Metallica - Enter Sandman
Martin Kühne via arch-general
2017-07-24 18:39:25 UTC
On Mon, Jul 24, 2017 at 8:25 PM, Storm Dragon via arch-general
Post by Storm Dragon via arch-general
Howdy,
Howdy
Post by Storm Dragon via arch-general
I'm glad there's now something other than rtorrent. Rtorrent works usually,
but there are some torrents that just refuse to work with it, hopefully this
new, in development CLI tool will fil in the gap.
Are you planning to make a PKGBUILD for it in the AUR, or do you want
someone else to do it?
The software is not a torrent client, only a "search interface" that
comes in html or command line output. Output itself is not rendered
using any rendering enginge but string addition (str.__add__). I
haven't exactly figured out what it actually does just yet, but it's
not what you've been looking for.

Regarding torrent clients, I'm actually pretty happy with
extra/transmission-cli's transmission-daemon.

cheers!
mar77i
Jan Koppe
you might want to take a look at aria2c.
Jude DaShiell
2017-07-24 22:31:30 UTC
lftp with torrent command used inside has been known to work too.
Kryptxy via arch-general
2017-07-25 01:05:48 UTC
Hi there,
I'm not sure if the PKGBUILD will be accepted in AUR. I had once posted a thread in open-source contributions in arch formus, but was taken down due to legal issues (end of the day, TPB is illegal :P). So I didn't put effort in building PKGBUILD.
That's the ONLY reason I posted about it here.

Also, it's not a torrent client. It just scraps thepiratebay proxy sites, and displays results in console window.
Howdy, I'm glad there's now something other than rtorrent. Rtorrent works usually, but there are some torrents that just refuse to work with it, hopefully this new, in development CLI tool will fil in the gap. Are you planning to make a PKGBUILD for it in the AUR, or do you want someone else to do it? Storm On Mon, Jul 24, 2017 at 01:45:17PM -0400, Arch Linux General wrote: >[Off-topic] >Command-line torrent download tool for linux and windows OS. The tool fetches torrents from TPB proxy sites. Its written in Python3. > >Here - https://github.com/kryptxy/torrench > >Suggestions/feedback is appreciated. >Hope someone finds this useful :) -- Powered by Arch Linux! I am registered Linux user number 508465: https://linuxcounter.net/user/508465.html My blog, Thoughts of a Dragon: http://www.stormdragon.tk/ get my public PGP key: gpg --keyserver wwwkeys.pgp.net --recv-key 43DDC193 Twitter and Facebook are so ... yesteryear. Get your 2MB Social account TODAY! http://2mb.social/main/register How many Internet mail list subscribers does it take to change a lightbulb? http://goo.gl/eO4PJ "It's just the beast under your bed, in y
respiranto
2017-07-25 09:29:02 UTC
Post by Kryptxy via arch-general
Hi there,
I'm not sure if the PKGBUILD will be accepted in AUR. I had once posted a thread in open-source contributions in arch formus, but was taken down due to legal issues (end of the day, TPB is illegal :P). So I didn't put effort in building PKGBUILD.
That's the ONLY reason I posted about it here.
As far as I know, thepiratebay.org by itself is not illegal, only much
but not all of the _linked_ content. As an example, you can most likely
find a torrent-link for an Arch ISO.
Eli Schwartz
2017-07-25 14:37:23 UTC
Post by respiranto
Hi there, I'm not sure if the PKGBUILD will be accepted in AUR. I
had once posted a thread in open-source contributions in arch
formus, but was taken down due to legal issues (end of the day, TPB
is illegal :P). So I didn't put effort in building PKGBUILD. That's
the ONLY reason I posted about it here.
As far as I know, thepiratebay.org by itself is not illegal, only
much but not all of the _linked_ content. As an example, you can most
likely find a torrent-link for an Arch ISO.
Probably worth noting that this defense breaks down when the project
README specifically calls out high-profile illegal content as usage
examples, though. :p

Although the AUR *still* has that torrent client which is specifically
designed to stream pirated movies via torrents, so I dunno.

(I honestly thought that that was deleted, but I just checked and it's
still listed in the AUR!)
Kryptxy via arch-general
Bradley Klee via arch-general
2017-07-26 04:54:53 UTC
More from the manual:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Code_of_conduct#Criminal_solicitation

Cheers,

Brad

Sent from my iPhone
2017-07-25 14:29:38 UTC
Hi there, I'm not sure if the PKGBUILD will be accepted in AUR. I had
once posted a thread in open-source contributions in arch formus, but
was taken down due to legal issues (end of the day, TPB is illegal
:P). So I didn't put effort in building PKGBUILD. That's the ONLY
reason I posted about it here.
Also, it's not a torrent client. It just scraps thepiratebay proxy
sites, and displays results in console window.
Because if the AUR, and the forums, don't allow it, then it is better to
use the mailing list run by the same organization... because why?

This seems like questionable logic.

That being said, we have bittorrent clients available in the offical
repos and the AUR, and e.g. qbittorrent (in [community]) comes with a
builtin search indexer that searches thepiratebay among several other sites.
Grady Martin via arch-general
2017-08-01 04:38:21 UTC
I'm glad there's now something other than rtorrent. Rtorrent works usually, but there are some torrents that just refuse to work with it...
Dang. I was hoping to switch to rTorrent. Thank you for the word of caution. Are you able to provide any example files or magnet links that rTorrent fails to process?

I've gone from Transmission to Deluge to qBittorrent, and they all suck for various reasons. If I could combine the stability of Transmission with the robustness of qBittorrent and Deluge's sane handling of untracked files and partial downloads... then we might be in business.