Automatic login
Junayeed Ahnaf via arch-general
2017-07-18 12:25:46 UTC

How to enable automatic login in arch (using sddm and KDE) .

I tried enabling it in /etc/sddm.conf but it didn't work. Also I saw
something like getty but I didn't understand what it does or how to make it
work. In all other linux there is an option called "user" in settings but
that is absent in Arch.

Thanks in advan
Tim Ohliger via arch-general
2017-07-18 12:56:50 UTC
Post by Junayeed Ahnaf via arch-general
Hello,
How to enable automatic login in arch (using sddm and KDE) .
I tried enabling it in /etc/sddm.conf but it didn't work. Also I saw
something like getty but I didn't understand what it does or how to make it
work. In all other linux there is an option called "user" in settings but
that is absent in Arch.
Thanks in advance.
Nirjhor
Hi.

I have an automatic login option in KDEs "System Settings" -> "Startup and
Shutdown"-> "Login Screen (SDDM)" -> "Advanced" -> "[ ] Auto Login".
Maybe that is what you are looking for.
I do not know anything about the config files since I do not use automatic
login.

Greetings
Tim
Georg
2017-07-18 13:06:37 UTC
Post by Tim Ohliger via arch-general
I have an automatic login option in KDEs "System Settings" -> "Startup and
Shutdown"-> "Login Screen (SDDM)" -> "Advanced" -> "[ ] Auto Login".
The package extra/sddm-kcm is needed for that.

Georg
Junayeed Ahnaf via arch-general
2017-07-18 14:08:29 UTC
Post by Georg
kcm is needed for that
I did it . Steps :

1. Edit /etc/sddm.conf and added user and session under autologin
2. sudo systemctl --force enable sddm
3. cat /etc/systemd/system/display-manager.service to see if everything
Maxwell Anselm via arch-general
2017-07-19 00:16:26 UTC
If you're going to use automatic login, why not cut out the middle man and
ditch the display manager entirely?

Relevant wiki articles/sections:
Getty#Automatic_login_to_virtual_console
Xinit#Autostart_X_at_login
KDE#Manual

On Tue, Jul 18, 2017 at 10:08 AM, Junayeed Ahnaf via arch-general <
Post by Junayeed Ahnaf via arch-general
Post by Georg
kcm is needed for that
1. Edit /etc/sddm.conf and added user and session under autologin
2. sudo systemctl --force enable sddm
3. cat /etc/systemd/system/display-manager.service to see if everything
works
4. sudo reboot
:-)
Nirjhor
Junayeed Ahnaf via arch-general
2017-07-19 09:22:57 UTC
I actually have not thoguht about that. I'll take a look at it now :-)
Post by Maxwell Anselm via arch-general
If you're going to use automatic login, why not cut out the middle man and
ditch the display manager entirely?
Getty#Automatic_login_to_virtual_console
Xinit#Autostart_X_at_login
KDE#Manual
On Tue, Jul 18, 2017 at 10:08 AM, Junayeed Ahnaf via arch-general <
Post by Junayeed Ahnaf via arch-general
kcm is needed for that
Nirjho
Christoph Gysin via arch-general
2017-07-19 11:29:28 UTC
Check also:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Systemd/User#Automatic_login_into_Xorg_without_display_manager

On Wed, Jul 19, 2017 at 12:22 PM, Junayeed Ahnaf via arch-general
Post by Junayeed Ahnaf via arch-general
I actually have not thoguht about that. I'll take a look at it now :-)
Post by Maxwell Anselm via arch-general
If you're going to use automatic login, why not cut out the middle man and
ditch the display manager entirely?
Getty#Automatic_login_to_virtual_console
Xinit#Autostart_X_at_login
KDE#Manual
On Tue, Jul 18, 2017 at 10:08 AM, Junayeed Ahnaf via arch-general <
Post by Junayeed Ahnaf via arch-general
kcm is needed for that
--
echo mailto: NOSPAM !#$.'<*>'|sed 's. ..'|tr "<*> !#:2" ***@fr33z3