[arch-dev-public] [RFC] Deprecate ABS?
2017-03-27 00:50:53 UTC
Hi all,
Allan complained yesterday that ABS is apparently broken. Turns out that
most likely it is broken at least since 2016-07-07.
The script received no changes since 2012-09-07 and the main advantage
it brings is an easy way to pull all PKGBUILDs. But we also provide
public Subversion and Git repositories. Initial svn checkout for
community and packages takes less than 3 minutes on my rather slow
connection (for European standards); obviously subsequent updates are
faster. Full git clone is slow, but shallow one takes ca. 10 seconds
(for both).
If someone needs to checkout just one package, svn has sparse checkouts
and for git, Dave wrote asp[1]. This brings the question, what is the
point of keeping it running?
Bartłomiej
[1] https://github.com/falconindy/asp
If we are deprecating ABS (which is yay!) then can we get a stable
release of asp in [extra] to replace it?

Also would be nice to have an official stance on whether full svn
checkouts are okay, since https://www.archlinux.org/svn/ strongly warns
people against doing so... and comparing all PKGBUILDs at once is
somewhat awkward when using separate branches in git (though git-grep
does take multiple trees at least).
Bartłomiej Piotrowski
2017-03-27 08:07:43 UTC
Post by Eli Schwartz via arch-general
If we are deprecating ABS (which is yay!) then can we get a stable
release of asp in [extra] to replace it?
That's what we (as in: falconindy) are going to do if ABS gets deprecated.
Post by Eli Schwartz via arch-general
Also would be nice to have an official stance on whether full svn
checkouts are okay, since https://www.archlinux.org/svn/ strongly warns
people against doing so... and comparing all PKGBUILDs at once is
somewhat awkward when using separate branches in git (though git-grep
does take multiple trees at least).
Yeah, full checkout takes a while, although there is no reason to think
that we can't handle it with current infra. I don't understand what do
you mean about branches – our svn2git setup simply mirrors svn structure.

Bartłomiej