Ardour 5.6 released - status on update
Add Reply
Britt Yazel via arch-general
2017-02-12 00:10:52 UTC
Hey everyone,

Not to be impatient, but Ardour had another update today to version 5.6,
and the stable repo's only have version 4.7 and testing only has 5.4.

Nearly a month ago Ray Rashif promised to get 5.4 pushed to stable before
the end of the weekend, though that appears to have fallen by the wayside.

No criticism to Ray, as I am aware that he is was devoted to this thesis
defense, but I would really love to see this package updated as it is more
than a year out of date at this point.

-Britt
Donovan Cameron via arch-general
2017-02-12 00:33:14 UTC
Hey Britt,

We've kind of all experienced delayed package updates and I recommend
the following, it will let it take it's natural course!

1.) Flag it out of date, probably is already

2.) Inquire with the package maintainer directly over email and offer
suggestions or to help

3.) Seek a co-maintainer or become one yourself
--
Kind regards,

Donovan
Eli Schwartz via arch-general
2017-02-12 01:24:02 UTC
Post by Donovan Cameron via arch-general
Hey Britt,
We've kind of all experienced delayed package updates and I recommend
the following, it will let it take it's natural course!
1.) Flag it out of date, probably is already
The maintainer is certainly aware, that much is plainly evident!
Flagging a package out-of-date does nothing other than make the
maintainer aware, it isn't some magic oldness-slaying bullet.
Post by Donovan Cameron via arch-general
2.) Inquire with the package maintainer directly over email and offer
suggestions or to help
I think we can safely assume from the tone of the email you are replying
to (and, for that matter, the previous emails in this mailing list on
the subject) that that has already been done.
Post by Donovan Cameron via arch-general
3.) Seek a co-maintainer or become one yourself
How do you recommend someone become a co-maintainer of a package in the
[extra] repo, keeping in mind that becoming a TU requires considerably
more than the current maintainer's willingness to share? And TUs can
only push packages to [community], not [core] and [extra] ...

Please, helpful suggestions only! And keep in mind this is not the
aur-general mailing list, so AUR-specific advice is not helpful (and I
suspect ardour users don't want to see it dropped to the AUR either).
Donovan Cameron via arch-general
2017-02-12 01:32:33 UTC
Post by Eli Schwartz via arch-general
Please, helpful suggestions only! And keep in mind this is not the
aur-general mailing list, so AUR-specific advice is not helpful (and I
suspect ardour users don't want to see it dropped to the AUR either).
Um... sorry?
--
Kind regards,

Donovan
Ray Rashif via arch-general
2017-02-17 19:59:59 UTC
Hey all

There is no excuse for my tardiness here, thesis defense or not. I have
updated ardour now in testing. I will not delay pushing to extra this time.
Thanks for all your patience.

Best,
Ray

On 12 February 2017 at 07:32, Donovan Cameron via arch-general <
GPG/PGP ID: C0711BF1
Ralf Mardorf
2017-02-18 04:57:12 UTC

did you notice this

http://lists.ardour.org/pipermail/ardour-users-ardour.org/2017-February/028286.html

?

Regards,
Ralf
Ray Rashif via arch-general
2017-02-18 05:37:46 UTC
Ralf,

No, thanks for pointing that out. Since we don't track master we'll have to
backport the particular fix if they don't tag a release.
GPG/PGP ID: C0711BF1
Ralf Mardorf
2017-02-28 18:59:36 UTC
Post by Ray Rashif via arch-general
Post by Ralf Mardorf
did you notice this
http://lists.ardour.org/pipermail/ardour-users-ardour.
org/2017-February/028286.html
?
Ralf,
No, thanks for pointing that out. Since we don't track master we'll
have to backport the particular fix if they don't tag a release.
Hi Ray,

they did provide a new version:

http://lists.ardour.org/pipermail/ardour-users-ardour.org/2017-February/028297.html

I anyway build the Ardour package myself. However, most likely I'll stay
with

[***@moonstudio ~]$ sudo systemd-nspawn -qD /mnt/archlinux pacman -Q ardour5
[snip]
ardour5 5.5-1

to avoid any risk for my current project that was started with
Ardour 5.5.

Regards,
Ralf
David Runge
2017-03-01 14:16:32 UTC
Can we update to 5.8 [1] then?
We're still at 4.7 in the repos.

[1] http://community.ardour.org/node/14325
https://sleepmap.de
David Runge
2017-03-03 13:02:15 UTC
Post by David Runge
Can we update to 5.8 [1] then?
We're still at 4.7 in the repos.
[1] http://community.ardour.org/node/14325
Oh well.... in case anyone's interested: There's a PKGBUILD and
ardour.desktop file attached to this e-mail... -_-
https://sleepmap.de
David Runge
2017-03-03 13:14:25 UTC
Post by David Runge
Oh well.... in case anyone's interested: There's a PKGBUILD and
ardour.desktop file attached to this e-mail... -_-
Whoops, no attachments allowed.

$ cat ardour/PKGBUILD

pkgname=ardour
pkgver=5.8
pkgrel=1
pkgdesc="Professional-grade digital audio workstation"
arch=('i686' 'x86_64')
url="https://ardour.org/"
license=('GPL')
depends=('liblrdf' 'liblo' 'lilv' 'suil' 'taglib'
'aubio' 'rubberband' 'gtkmm')
makedepends=('git' 'python2' 'boost' 'cppunit' 'doxygen' 'graphviz')
optdepends=('xjadeo: video monitoring'
'harvid: video timeline')
source=("$pkgname-$pkgver::git+https://github.com/${pkgname^}/$pkgname.git#tag=$pkgver"
"$pkgname.desktop")
sha256sums=('SKIP'
'2573e9d286a12c11ad7ca131bad61b7504b6bde71f58f163f2bef9a41a4d353d')

prepare() {
cd "$srcdir/$pkgname-$pkgver"

# python2 fix
sed -i 's/python ${SRC}/python2 ${SRC}/' libs/pbd/wscript
}

build() {
cd "$srcdir/$pkgname-$pkgver"

python2 waf configure --prefix=/usr \
--configdir=/etc \
--with-backends="jack,alsa" \
--libjack=weak \
--optimize \
--docs \
--cxx11 \
--no-phone-home

python2 waf build $MAKEFLAGS
}

package() {
cd "$srcdir/$pkgname-$pkgver"

python2 waf install --destdir="$pkgdir"

# install some freedesktop.org compatibility
install -Dm644 "$srcdir/$pkgname.desktop" \
"$pkgdir/usr/share/applications/$pkgname.desktop"
}

# vim:set ts=2 sw=2 et:

$ cat ardour/ardour.desktop

[Desktop Entry]
Name=Ardour
Comment=Multitrack hard disk recorder
Exec=ardour5
Icon=/usr/share/ardour5/resources/Ardour-icon_256px.png
Terminal=false
Type=Application
X-MultipleArgs=false
Categories=GTK;Audio;AudioVideoEditing;AudioVideo;Video;

I would really love to see this updated and in extra again!
https://sleepmap.de
Eli Schwartz via arch-general
2017-03-03 13:59:28 UTC
Post by David Runge
Post by David Runge
Can we update to 5.8 [1] then?
We're still at 4.7 in the repos.
[1] http://community.ardour.org/node/14325
Oh well.... in case anyone's interested: There's a PKGBUILD and
ardour.desktop file attached to this e-mail... -_-
5.6 has been in [testing] for a while, if that helps.
2017-03-03 14:11:52 UTC
Post by David Runge
Post by David Runge
Can we update to 5.8 [1] then?
We're still at 4.7 in the repos.
[1] http://community.ardour.org/node/14325
Oh well.... in case anyone's interested: There's a PKGBUILD and
ardour.desktop file attached to this e-mail... -_-
5.6 has been in [testing] for a while, if that helps.
No, it's broken, AFAIK users either should stay with 5.5 or upgrade to
5.8.

Regards,
Ralf
David Runge
2017-03-16 11:26:36 UTC
Post by David Runge
Can we update to 5.8 [1] then?
We're still at 4.7 in the repos.
PING
https://sleepmap.de
David Runge
2017-03-22 10:07:00 UTC
Post by David Runge
Can we update to 5.8 [1] then?
We're still at 4.7 in the repos.
PING
Come on man... this is getting ridiculous.
https://sleepmap.de
Ralf Mardorf
2017-02-28 19:08:20 UTC
Post by Ralf Mardorf
did you notice this
http://lists.ardour.org/pipermail/ardour-users-ardour.
org/2017-February/028286.html
?
Ralf,
No, thanks for pointing that out. Since we don't track master we'll
have to backport the particular fix if they don't tag a release.
Hi Ray,

they provide a new version: