qt5ct color scheme -> looking for a lxqt dark theme
Javier via arch-general
2017-09-25 03:27:31 UTC

I've been looking for getting a dark appearance to lxqt, and so far
the closest is through qt5ct color schemes specified through *.conf
little files under qt5ct, somehow documented here:

[1] https://www.pcsuggest.com/lxqt-dark-style

When using the breeze color scheme provided by [1]:

++++
[ColorScheme]
active_colors=#eff0f1, #31363b, #4c545c, #40464d, #171a1c, #2a2e32,
#eff0f1, #ffffff, #eff0f1, #232629, #31363b, #111314, #3daee9,
#eff0f1, #2980b9, #7f8c8d, #31363b, #000000, #31363b, #eff0f1
disabled_colors=#6e7175, #2e3338, #4a5259, #3e444a, #16191b, #282c30,
#65686a, #ffffff, #6e7175, #212427, #2e3338, #101213, #2e3338,
#6e7175, #234257, #404648, #2e3338, #000000, #31363b, #eff0f1
inactive_colors=#eff0f1, #31363b, #4c545c, #40464d, #171a1c, #2a2e32,
#eff0f1, #ffffff, #eff0f1, #232629, #31363b, #111314, #224e65,
#eff0f1, #2980b9, #7f8c8d, #31363b, #000000, #31363b, #eff0f1
++++

There's no contrast at all between active and non active tabs on
multi-tab applications, pretty noticeable in qt5ct itself and
qterminal...

Is there a way to get such color scheme files to choose from? Also,
is there some specification of what each of the 20 colors specified
per active/disabled/inactive ones is supposed to mean? The inactive
and active ones are pretty similar, except for the 13th color, not
sure if some more should change. The disabled one is of course more
different, :) I'm not looking for the inactive colors to be similar
to the disabled ones, just a bit more of contrast than what I see,
which is no difference on tabs or even buttons...

Thanks,
Javier
David Rosenstrauch
2017-09-25 13:46:14 UTC
Post by Javier via arch-general
Hi,
I've been looking for getting a dark appearance to lxqt, and so far
the closest is through qt5ct color schemes specified through *.conf
Is there a way to get such color scheme files to choose from? Also,
is there some specification of what each of the 20 colors specified
per active/disabled/inactive ones is supposed to mean? The inactive
and active ones are pretty similar, except for the 13th color, not
sure if some more should change. The disabled one is of course more
different, :) I'm not looking for the inactive colors to be similar
to the disabled ones, just a bit more of contrast than what I see,
which is no difference on tabs or even buttons...
Thanks,
I can't speak for LXQT specifically. (I'm a XFCE / formerly KDE user.)
But I've been maintaining a dark theme for my own personal use for
several years now (screenshot at
it a bit recently given that there's been increased interest in dark
color schemes lately.

The theme is primarily a GTK theme, so not sure how well it will work
with LXQT, but I also have a copy of the older KDE/QT version which
perhaps might be more likely to work with LXQT. The GTK theme is an AUR
package (https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/adwaita-dark-darose/), while
the KDE/QT theme is just a color scheme file
(http://darose.net/DarkBlueGreyDave9.colors) as I haven't spent time
making a package out of that one since I don't use KDE anymore.

Hope one of these is useful to you. Feel free to email back feedback /
suggestions for improvement.

DR
Javier via arch-general
2017-09-26 04:40:49 UTC
Well that might work with KDE, but apparently I need a
color_scheme.conf file that gets understood by qt5ct, with the format
I showed... This other colors file perhaps is more suited for KDE?
The format for qt5ct is through active/inactive/disable palette colors
BTW...

BTW, I'm using lxqt with dark them, but that doesn't affect other
windows/applications... What I'd like is to get QT5 applications with
dark look :) What I've read is that for non KDE environments it's not
quite easy, and actually must be done through qt5ct (well, it'd be
easier if there were qt5ct color schemes availagle)...

Thanks a lot,
[...]
now (screenshot at http://www.darose.net/DaroseDesktop2011-09.png) and have
started sharing it a bit recently given that there's been increased interest
Javier
Zorro via arch-general
2017-09-26 18:49:13 UTC
I am using the Ambiance theme with qt5ct and that already gives some
kind of a dark appearance.

Maybe of use to you, on the web pages of the Manjaro distribution there
are explanations in setting up your own qt5ct theme and links to other
existing qt5ct themes.

Harm-Jan