Which MTA to use to store mails?
Peter Nabbefeld
2018-07-03 13:52:10 UTC

topic is probably not so precise. What I want is the following:
- I've got some Email/IMAP account.
- My mail is hosted on a server by GMX.
- I've got too many Emails on the host.
- I don't want to loose any of the emails.
- So I will have to install my own mail server,
fetching all my emails from the host.
- The mail server will then have to interact with
my providers server like a client, working as a server for me.

I'm sure there're some good servers, but I don't know which one
- works as expected,
- and is easy to configure.

Any help appreciated.

Kind regards

Peter
Georg
2018-07-03 13:58:26 UTC
Post by Peter Nabbefeld
Hello,
- I've got some Email/IMAP account.
- My mail is hosted on a server by GMX.
- I've got too many Emails on the host.
- I don't want to loose any of the emails.
- So I will have to install my own mail server,
fetching all my emails from the host.
- The mail server will then have to interact with
my providers server like a client, working as a server for me.
I'm sure there're some good servers, but I don't know which one
- works as expected,
- and is easy to configure.
Any help appreciated.
Kind regards
Peter
Hi Pete,

you might want to read this wiki page:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/OfflineIMAP

Cheers
Georg
Peter Nabbefeld
2018-07-03 17:35:23 UTC
Post by Georg
Post by Peter Nabbefeld
Hello,
- I've got some Email/IMAP account.
- My mail is hosted on a server by GMX.
- I've got too many Emails on the host.
- I don't want to loose any of the emails.
- So I will have to install my own mail server,
  fetching all my emails from the host.
- The mail server will then have to interact with
  my providers server like a client, working as a server for me.
I'm sure there're some good servers, but I don't know which one
- works as expected,
- and is easy to configure.
Any help appreciated.
Kind regards
Peter
Hi Pete,
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/OfflineIMAP
Cheers
Georg
Thank You, Georg,

I'll have a look at it.

Regards
Peter
Dan Haworth
2018-07-03 14:00:47 UTC
Post by Peter Nabbefeld
Hello,
- I've got some Email/IMAP account.
- My mail is hosted on a server by GMX.
- I've got too many Emails on the host.
- I don't want to loose any of the emails.
- So I will have to install my own mail server,
  fetching all my emails from the host.
- The mail server will then have to interact with
  my providers server like a client, working as a server for me.
I'm sure there're some good servers, but I don't know which one
- works as expected,
- and is easy to configure.
Any help appreciated.
Kind regards
Peter
Hey Peter,

Personally I have always been happy with exim and dovecot for local mail
servers. Regarding downloading your mail from your remote provider
regularly, I would personally use fetchmail for that - it sounds exactly
what you're looking for (https://sourceforge.net/projects/fetchmail/).

Hope that helps,

Dan
Peter Nabbefeld
2018-07-03 17:31:48 UTC
Post by Dan Haworth
Post by Peter Nabbefeld
Hello,
[...]
Thank You, Dan - yes, better than looking through a bunch of howtos, as
I'm just having problems - just waited too long ...

exim seems to work with SMTP only, so I'm looking at dovecot as "my" MTA.

Regards
Peter
Peter Nabbefeld
2018-07-03 17:37:55 UTC
Post by Dan Haworth
Post by Peter Nabbefeld
Hello,
[...]
Hello Dan,

seems I need a certificate for dovecot including my server's name, but I
don't have a fixed IP nor a DNS name.

Regards,
Peter
Georg
2018-07-03 17:49:24 UTC
Post by Peter Nabbefeld
Post by Dan Haworth
Post by Peter Nabbefeld
Hello,
[...]
Hi Peter,

in the mail ecosystem a self-signed certificate is just doing well
enough, the alternative to a failed certificate chain verification is
plaintext anyways.

Gruß
Georg
Jens John
2018-07-03 20:48:17 UTC
Post by Peter Nabbefeld
- I've got some Email/IMAP account.
- My mail is hosted on a server by GMX.
- I've got too many Emails on the host.
- I don't want to loose any of the emails.
- So I will have to install my own mail server,
fetching all my emails from the host.
- The mail server will then have to interact with
my providers server like a client, working as a server for me.
I'm sure there're some good servers, but I don't know which one
- works as expected,
- and is easy to configure.
Any help appreciated.
If you're open to *not* setting up a complete MTA, I have the following setup:

isync set up in pull-only mode from my IMAP hoster excluding deletions: All folders from the remote are backed up to my local email storage, including the sent folder. The local storage is a maildir; my local MUA saves sent messages, drafts etc to the same folder hierarchy as the isync sync channel – this yields an integrated, simple mail system without much configuration and operations overhead. The email sync is triggered both via a hook in the MUA (mutt) and via a systemd --user timer (hourly).