ReadyDLNA/MiniDLNA doesn't work behind wireless
Giovanni Santini via arch-general
2017-06-04 13:38:30 UTC
Good afternoon,
as said in the subject I am having some issues running MiniDLNA on my
home server.
The service fires up properly (the status web page is properly
accessible), however the server is not visible when I scan for it in my
DLNA-enanched applications, on all the platforms (my Android phone and
tablet + my computer).
In the past it was working when my home server was connected through
Ethernet, but I had to make a really bad setup and I would prefer to
keep it on wireless.
Did anyone have a problem similar to mine?
--
Giovanni Santini
My blog: http://giovannisantini.tk
My GPG: 2FADEBF5
ITwrx.org
2017-06-04 14:10:13 UTC
Post by Giovanni Santini via arch-general
Good afternoon,
as said in the subject I am having some issues running MiniDLNA on my
home server.
The service fires up properly (the status web page is properly
accessible), however the server is not visible when I scan for it in my
DLNA-enanched applications, on all the platforms (my Android phone and
tablet + my computer).
In the past it was working when my home server was connected through
Ethernet, but I had to make a really bad setup and I would prefer to
keep it on wireless.
Did anyone have a problem similar to mine?
The status page is properly accessible from where? A x86 computer that's
on your wired network? or from a device connected to network via wireless?
Giovanni Santini via arch-general
2017-06-04 14:45:10 UTC
Post by ITwrx.org
The status page is properly accessible from where? A x86 computer that's
on your wired network? or from a device connected to network via wireless?
MiniDLNA publishes automatically a web page on port 8200 for checking
its status.

My computer is an old x64-capable server.
It is connected to my network through a wireless USB adapter.
My GPG: 2FADEBF5
ihad
2017-06-04 15:24:04 UTC
Post by ITwrx.org
The status page is properly accessible from where? A x86 computer that's
on your wired network? or from a device connected to network via wireless?
MiniDLNA publishes automatically a web page on port 8200 for checking
its status.
My computer is an old x64-capable server.
It is connected to my network through a wireless USB adapter.
Just a wild guess: is your wireless network a separate subnet? If so,
there's your problem. AFAIK MiniDLNA uses SSDP[1] to announce itself,
using a site-local multicast-IP that isn't routed. You need to bridge
your wireless network into the wired one, meaning it has to be the same
subnet.
Arno

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simple_Service_Discovery_Protocol
--
Gruß,
Arno.
Giovanni Santini via arch-general
2017-06-04 15:42:51 UTC
Post by ihad
Just a wild guess: is your wireless network a separate subnet? If so,
there's your problem. AFAIK MiniDLNA uses SSDP[1] to announce itself,
using a site-local multicast-IP that isn't routed. You need to bridge
your wireless network into the wired one, meaning it has to be the same
subnet.
Hey,
no, both of them are configured through DHCP and they both use the same
subnet (mask 255.255.255.0, base 192.168.0.0).
My GPG: 2FADEBF5
ITwrx.org
2017-06-04 16:08:18 UTC
Post by ITwrx.org
The status page is properly accessible from where? A x86 computer that's
on your wired network? or from a device connected to network via wireless?
MiniDLNA publishes automatically a web page on port 8200 for checking
its status.
My computer is an old x64-capable server.
It is connected to my network through a wireless USB adapter.
this computer is the one you successfully accessed the minidlna web page
from? or a different computer connected via ethernet? i'm just trying to
verify that you have successfully accessed the webpage for minidlna from
a wireless device/computer.

if yes, then you could use nmap or a nmap gui (nmap-qt4 ?) to scan the
host that is supposed to be serving minidlna and make sure that port is
actually open/visible. IOW, just start ruling things out. If that port
is open/accessible from a remote machine then try different apps on the
clients to make sure it's not just buggy clients. you might also try
different minidlna servers. i know when i tried to use minidlna the
servers and client apps were very picky and some were very flakey too. i
ended up ditching minidlna(even though i had it working most of the
time) and just using samba just because i didn't like how non-robust it
all was.
--
Information Technology Works
https://ITwrx.org
@ITwrxorg
Giovanni Santini via arch-general
2017-06-05 09:37:32 UTC
Post by ITwrx.org
[...]
The computer I was referring to is the server I am trying to access.
I've accessed the webpage from my laptop.

There is a strange thing indeed: the server has actually no firewall,
however the 1900 UDP port, which should be open for SSDP seems closed.

Here it is the result of some investigation
---
# On my laptop
$ nmap -sU -p 1900 santini_server
Starting Nmap 7.40 ( https://nmap.org ) at 2017-06-05 11:32 ora legale
Europa occidentale
Nmap scan report for santini_server (192.168.0.109)
Host is up (0.027s latency).
PORT STATE SERVICE
1900/udp closed upnp
MAC Address: 00:1E:2A:43:47:3E (Netgear)

Nmap done: 1 IP address (1 host up) scanned in 12.43 seconds

# On the server
$ sudo iptables --list
Chain INPUT (policy ACCEPT)
target prot opt source destination

Chain FORWARD (policy ACCEPT)
target prot opt source destination

Chain OUTPUT (policy ACCEPT)
target prot opt source destination
---
No idea why MiniDLNA does not check the port.
My GPG: 2FADEBF5
ITwrx.org
2017-06-05 15:12:13 UTC
[...]
i just installed minidlna and got it working from vlc over wireless. it
didn't work at first. "systemctl status minindlna" showed that it wasn't
able to identify the network interface i provided. i have no idea
why(old method in minidlna?). i commented that line in config back out
and made sure minidlna could read my testing media directory and it
worked at that point. i used nmap -sS -sU -T4 -A -v 192.168.1.1 to see
if port 8200 was open. it was.

so, if "systemctl status minidlna" or "journalctl -b" shows no problems
for minidlna then maybe test with nmap from both wired and wireless and
see if there is a difference. If there is, then you have network config
issue. the arch wiki page for minidlna has a section about wireless in
the troubleshooting section i notice.
Mike Cloaked via arch-general
2017-06-05 21:11:55 UTC
Post by ITwrx.org
[...]
Although I don't run minidlna over the wireless interface on the server I
use, and only use the wired interface, I presume that the key here may be
as you suggest that the lines in /etc/minidlna.conf near the start of the
file that are relevant, which in my case are:

# port for HTTP (descriptions, SOAP, media transfer) traffic
port=8200

# network interfaces to serve, comma delimited
#network_interface=eth0
network_interface=eth0

would need to include the correctly specified interface(s) for the server
running minidlna for the OP. I wonder what the latter line actually is for
that file in the problem machine?
mike c
Giovanni Santini via arch-general
2017-06-09 07:33:51 UTC
Post by Mike Cloaked via arch-general
Post by ITwrx.org
[...]
Good morning,
Thanks to everyone for your support.
Seems the problem was different, as my router started acting really weird.
I just replaced it and MiniDLNA 'n stuff work flawlessly.
So, always replace defective routers. :P
Thanks again.