AL gnustep-core implementation misses gnustep-back
LoneVVolf
2018-01-09 12:04:35 UTC
In the recent repo clean up operation gnustep-back was dropped to AUR.

I have maintained the oolite package when it was still in AUR and
remember plenty of problems with running oolite against faulty /
incomplete gnustep-core implementations .

The gnustep upstream website [1] lists gnustep-back as a required
package for every gnustep install .

The ANNOUNCE file in gnustep-back source code [2] states gnustep-gui &
gnustep-back are 2 components of the display system used by gnustep .

I feel that removing gnustep-back from gnustep-core group goes against
arch linux policy of staying as close to upstream as possible.

Lone_Wolf

[1]
http://wwwmain.gnustep.org/resources/downloads.php?site=ftp%3A%2F%2Fftp.gnustep.org%2Fpub%2Fgnustep%2F#core

[2] ftp://ftp.gnustep.org/pub/gnustep/core/gnustep-back-0.25.1.tar.gz
Bartłomiej Piotrowski via arch-general
2018-01-09 12:19:52 UTC
Post by LoneVVolf
In the recent repo clean up operation gnustep-back was dropped to AUR.
I have maintained the oolite package when it was still in AUR and
remember plenty of problems with running oolite against faulty /
incomplete gnustep-core implementations .
The gnustep upstream website [1] lists gnustep-back as a required
package for every gnustep install .
The ANNOUNCE file in gnustep-back source code [2] states gnustep-gui &
gnustep-back are 2 components of the display system used by gnustep .
I feel that removing gnustep-back from gnustep-core group goes against
arch linux policy of staying as close to upstream as possible.
Lone_Wolf
[1]
http://wwwmain.gnustep.org/resources/downloads.php?site=ftp%3A%2F%2Fftp.gnustep.org%2Fpub%2Fgnustep%2F#core
[2] ftp://ftp.gnustep.org/pub/gnustep/core/gnustep-back-0.25.1.tar.gz
Yes, looks like it shouldn't have been removed. However all GNUstep
packages are unmaintained, so I'd rather drop it all with oolite to AUR
than keep in half-zombie state in repositories.

Sven, any opinion on this?

Bartłomiej
Bartłomiej Piotrowski via arch-general
2018-01-11 14:48:47 UTC
I'd like to keep maintaining oolite if it's not too much work but I'm
definitely not going to touch GNUstep stuff. So if no one is going to
maintain GNUstep in official repos, we should drop oolite.
I'm going to drop oolite and remaining GNUstep packages on Monday,
unless someone adopts the latter.

Bartłomiej
LoneVVolf
2018-01-11 22:44:20 UTC
Post by Bartłomiej Piotrowski via arch-general
I'd like to keep maintaining oolite if it's not too much work but I'm
definitely not going to touch GNUstep stuff. So if no one is going to
maintain GNUstep in official repos, we should drop oolite.
I'm going to drop oolite and remaining GNUstep packages on Monday,
unless someone adopts the latter.
Bartłomiej
Not the answer I was hoping for, but if noone steps up that seems the
best option.

LW
Bartłomiej Piotrowski via arch-general
2018-01-16 18:40:41 UTC
Post by Bartłomiej Piotrowski via arch-general
I'd like to keep maintaining oolite if it's not too much work but I'm
definitely not going to touch GNUstep stuff. So if no one is going to
maintain GNUstep in official repos, we should drop oolite.
I'm going to drop oolite and remaining GNUstep packages on Monday,
unless someone adopts the latter.
Bartłomiej
With green light from Sven and no eager adopters,
gnustep-{base,gui,make} and oolite are in AUR now.

Bartłomiej

Mettke, Marc via arch-general
2018-01-13 09:15:45 UTC
I'm not a trusted User, but I would offer maintaining the gnustep packages
in the AUR

Regards
Marc