systemd - move to base group and expect it to be installed?
Marc Boocha via arch-general
2017-09-20 01:36:58 UTC
I am unable to send to arch-dev-public for some reason so i am send my
reply to arch general.

I think the filesystem can be split, the sysuser/tempfile will be in the
independent package. I do believe we seriously need a meta package for
some parts of base. Systemd, Glibc, PAM, Filesystem, Coreutils,
mkinitcpio ,Util linux and linux firmware are obviously need to be moved
to a metapackage. This helps since it makes it easier during major
transitions in the future.

Stuff like editors, bootladers, kernels (efi partions when dual booting
has space for a single kernel), snail are optional and remain as a group.

The meta package takes place of all other package of the base group.
Eli Schwartz
2017-09-20 02:42:40 UTC
Post by Marc Boocha via arch-general
I am unable to send to arch-dev-public for some reason so i am send my
reply to arch general.
You need to be whitelisted to post on arch-dev-public, since its purpose
is to offer a publicly *readable* medium for the Developers, Trusted
Users, and support staff to coordinate, notify each other about
vacations, discuss maintenance, policy, proposed packaging changes, etc.

You can get whitelisted by joining the collective group of Developers,
Trusted Users, and support staff. ;)

arch-general, meanwhile, remains free for users to, among other things,
discuss among themselves the effects of arch-dev-public discussions.
Post by Marc Boocha via arch-general
I think the filesystem can be split, the sysuser/tempfile will be in the
independent package.
I don't think the answer is to split the packages we do have into more
packages... -_-

The filesystem package is fine the way it is. Splitting
sysusers/tmpfiles into an independent package only makes sense insomuch
as splitting the files and users they create would have made sense prior
to moving these to /usr/share/factory/ etc. -- why all of a sudden now
do you think they should be split out? And what practical benefit do you
think this has?