pavucontrol depency question
Friedrich Strohmaier
2017-03-19 23:11:58 UTC
Hi all,

some time ago xfce sorted out xfce4-mixer in favour of xfce4-pulseaudio-plugin.
- agreed removing xfce4-mixer
- Installed xfce4-pulseaudio-plugin - no sound mixing available at all
- Installed optional dependency pavucontrol - no sound mixing available - no
connection to pulseaudio server
- Installed optional dependency pulsaudio - yay! sound mixing up an running.

I don't understand much about dependency quirks but I wonder about the reason
both dependencies beeing made optional.
xfce4-pulsaudio-plugin is out of any functionality without working pavucontrol
pavucontrol is out of any functionality without a running pulseaudio server.

So what is the reason making both dependencies optional?
Friedrich
Christoph Gysin via arch-general
2017-03-20 09:06:46 UTC
pavucontrol works fine without pulseaudio, if you control another
machine's pulseaudio instance over the network:

$ PULSE_SERVER=another-box pavucontrol

Not sure about xfce4 packages, don't use them.

echo mailto: NOSPAM !#$.'<*>'|sed 's. ..'|tr "<*> !#:2" ***@fr33z3
ProgAndy
2017-03-20 09:41:20 UTC
Post by Christoph Gysin via arch-general
pavucontrol works fine without pulseaudio, if you control another
$ PULSE_SERVER=another-box pavucontrol
Not sure about xfce4 packages, don't use them.
Hi,

You can use the pulseaudio client library to send audio to a pulseaudio
server in your network. That works only for software using libpulse,
though. It probably won't work for connections through pulseaudio-alsa.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/PulseAudio/Examples#PulseAudio_over_network

Andy
Maarten de Vries via arch-general
2017-03-20 20:48:06 UTC
Post by Christoph Gysin via arch-general
pavucontrol works fine without pulseaudio, if you control another
$ PULSE_SERVER=another-box pavucontrol
Not sure about xfce4 packages, don't use them.
Hi,
You can use the pulseaudio client library to send audio to a pulseaudio
server in your network. That works only for software using libpulse,
though. It probably won't work for connections through pulseaudio-alsa.

pulseaudio-alsa works fine with a remote pulse server if you properly
configure the client library. My desktop has streamed all audio to a
different device for years without problem. And that included audio from
alsa-only applications.

-- Maarten
Friedrich Strohmaier
2017-03-21 01:38:04 UTC
Hi Christoph, Andy, Marten, *,
Post by Christoph Gysin via arch-general
pavucontrol works fine without pulseaudio, if you control another
wasn't aware about the network possibility which finally makes perfectly sense
making pavucontrol an optional dependency for the local setup.
Post by Christoph Gysin via arch-general
$ PULSE_SERVER=another-box pavucontrol
Not sure about xfce4 packages, don't use them.
other story - probably worth, filing a bug.
[..]
Post by Christoph Gysin via arch-general
Post by Friedrich Strohmaier
pavucontrol is out of any functionality without a running pulseaudio server.
So what is the reason making both dependencies optional?
so thank you all for enlightening :o))
--
Friedrich