Setting make options for aur-packages
Add Reply
Jeanette C. via arch-general
2017-12-26 18:42:00 UTC
Hey hey,
is there a simple, systematic option to set make options for building AUR
packages, that are compiled on the local system? I know that I can edit the
PKGBUILD file for each package, but I'd prefer something global. My goal is to
build using multiple jobs (-j option for make).

I searched options and environment variables for aurget and makepkg, without
result.

TIA and best wishes,

Jeanette

--------
* website: http://juliencoder.de - for summer is a state of sound

Just hang around and you'll see,
There's nowhere I'd rather be <3
(Britney Spears)
Zachary Kline via arch-general

(Britney Spears)
Jeanette C. via arch-general
2017-12-26 19:03:11 UTC
ec 26 2017, Zachary Kline via arch-general has written:
Isn?t this what makepkg.conf is for? You can specify all the make options you?d want in there.
Thanks, that was the only place I didn't look being discouraged by the
manpage for makepkg. :)

Best wishes,

Jeanette

--------

(Britney Spears)
David Runge
2017-12-26 19:05:13 UTC
Post by Zachary Kline via arch-general
Hello,
Isn’t this what makepkg.conf is for? You can specify all the make
options you’d want in there.
Best,
Zack.
On Dec 26, 2017, at 10:42 AM, Jeanette C. via arch-general
Hey hey,
is there a simple, systematic option to set make options for building
AUR packages, that are compiled on the local system? I know that I can
edit the PKGBUILD file for each package, but I'd prefer something
global. My goal is to build using multiple jobs (-j option for make).
I searched options and environment variables for aurget and makepkg,
without result.
TIA and best wishes,
Jeanette
--------
* website: http://juliencoder.de - for summer is a state of sound
Just hang around and you'll see,
There's nowhere I'd rather be <3
(Britney Spears)
Yeah,

`man makepkg.conf` for more info.

You can either set it globally in /etc/makepkg.conf or locally in .makepkg.conf.

Best,
David
https://sleepmap.de
Jeanette C. via arch-general
2017-12-26 19:09:11 UTC
Dec 26 2017, David Runge has written:
Post by David Runge
`man makepkg.conf` for more info.
You can either set it globally in /etc/makepkg.conf or locally in .makepkg.conf.
Thanks David, once I glommed onto it, it was easy. It was just very
remiss of me, giving up too early. :(

Best wishes,

Jeanette
Post by David Runge
Best,
David
--
https://sleepmap.de
--------

(Britney Spears)
Ralf Mardorf
2017-12-26 19:23:14 UTC
Post by David Runge
You can either set it globally in /etc/makepkg.conf or locally in .makepkg.conf.
Every now and then a pacman upgrade installs a makepkg.conf.pacnew, so
it's useful to take a look at it and to adapt the changes to the
customised settings.

I'm using "meld" to do this. It's a GUI providing a diff and you could
use the GUI as an editor to adapt the changes while displaying the diff.

I don't know if there is something that comfortable, that could be used
with Braille, too.
mpan
2017-12-28 01:43:29 UTC
(
) My goal is to build using multiple jobs (-j option for make).
Consider -l instead of -j, with -j being used only to limit the number
of subprocesses -l could spawn. For example:

make -l 4 -j 100

This will ensure make’s load is approximately 4. The additional `-j
some_bigger_number` is required to avoid creating excessive number of
subprocesses.