gtk-sharp-2 conflicts with gtk#
Morgan Adamiec via arch-general
2018-03-22 03:31:50 UTC
I was doing some packing parsing and my parser failed to parse
gtk-sharp-2 from extra. Turns out it's because gtk-sharp-2 conflicts
with gtk# and my parser refuses to parse it because of man PKGBUILD
stating:

PKGNAME: Valid characters for members
of this array are alphanumerics, and any of the following
characters: “@ . _ + -”. Additionally,
names are not allowed to start with hyphens or dots.

Now that's for pgkname but I assume that would extend to conflicts and
provides or am I mistaken?

I'm guessing gtk# used to be a package before those rules were defined
and has since been removed. If that's the case I realise that the
conflict needs to be there for people who still have gtk# installed.
But then again you now have a package in your repos have break your
own standards.

I don't know if its a good idea to remove that conflict, that's up to
the devs. Would just like to know what you think before i go and patch
the parser to allow '#'.
Eli Schwartz via arch-general
2018-03-22 03:42:04 UTC
Post by Morgan Adamiec via arch-general
I was doing some packing parsing and my parser failed to parse
gtk-sharp-2 from extra. Turns out it's because gtk-sharp-2 conflicts
with gtk# and my parser refuses to parse it because of man PKGBUILD
PKGNAME: Valid characters for members
of this array are alphanumerics, and any of the following
names are not allowed to start with hyphens or dots.
Now that's for pgkname but I assume that would extend to conflicts and
provides or am I mistaken?
Conflicts/provides should be linted just like pkgname (but this is *not*
enforced in code).

Note that pacman will accept many things that makepkg does not,
nevertheless makepkg *will* complain with:

==> ERROR: pkgname contains invalid characters: '#'
Post by Morgan Adamiec via arch-general
I'm guessing gtk# used to be a package before those rules were defined
and has since been removed. If that's the case I realise that the
conflict needs to be there for people who still have gtk# installed.
But then again you now have a package in your repos have break your
own standards.
I don't know if its a good idea to remove that conflict, that's up to
the devs. Would just like to know what you think before i go and patch
the parser to allow '#'.
That has been there since 2008, I don't think it qualifies as a specific
decision. :p

I would say, your tool should correctly detect something wonky with that
package.

Ideally I think I would like to implement
https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/57833 which would mean gtk-sharp-2 would
fail to compile with the next pkgver bump until that conflicts was
removed. ;)
Bug Wrangler and Trusted User
Eli Schwartz via arch-general
2018-03-22 13:16:10 UTC
Post by Eli Schwartz via arch-general
[...]
Just noticed you're the one who started that other thread. ;) Check out
my patch...
Bug Wrangler and Trusted User
Morganamilo via arch-general
2018-03-22 13:47:08 UTC
[...]
the devs. Would just lfike to know what you think before i go and
patch
the parser to allow '#'.
That has been there since 2008, I don't think it qualifies as a specific
decision. :p
I would say, your tool should correctly detect something wonky with that
package.
Ideally I think I would like to implement
https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/57833 which would mean gtk-sharp-2 would
fail to compile with the next pkgver bump until that conflicts was
removed. ;)
Just noticed you're the one who started that other thread. ;) Check out
my patch...
Yep, so glad to see someone who knows what they are doing getting this
done. :)

Also if this is going through then "conflicts=(gtk#)" is going to
refuse to build. It would be easy to fix this now, no need to wait for
makepkg to tell you.