How can I set CAPS LOCK as Escape throughout reboot
Junayeed Ahnaf via arch-general
2017-08-17 13:51:59 UTC

Currently I use "setxkbmap -option caps:escape" and it works well, but
I'd like to know how to make it persistent through reboot. I set this
line in .xinitrc
Damjan Georgievski via arch-general
2017-08-17 14:10:58 UTC
On 17 August 2017 at 15:51, Junayeed Ahnaf via arch-general
Post by Junayeed Ahnaf via arch-general
Hello,
Currently I use "setxkbmap -option caps:escape" and it works well, but
I'd like to know how to make it persistent through reboot. I set this
line in .xinitrc but it didn't work.
depends on your login manager and the desktop environment. Gnome will
overwrite XKB settings anyway. KDE would if configured.

some login managers (or their Xsession scripts) will read ~/.Xkbmap as
options to setxkbmap
damjan
Junayeed Ahnaf via arch-general
Omar Polo
2017-08-17 14:24:57 UTC
AFAIK `.xinitrc` is sourced only if you start your DE/WM with `startx`.

basically it depends on what display manager and/or DE/WM you are using,
but a general solution that applies to most cases is put "setxkbmap
-option caps:escape" in `~/.xprofile` since most display manager
executes it, or messing with your WM/DE settings
Post by Junayeed Ahnaf via arch-general
Hello,
Currently I use "setxkbmap -option caps:escape" and it works well, but
I'd like to know how to make it persistent through reboot. I set this
line in .xinitrc but it didn't work.
Thanks
No computers were harmed in the making of this email, only free (as in freedom) software was used
Eli Schwartz
2017-08-17 20:27:57 UTC
Post by Junayeed Ahnaf via arch-general
Hello,
Currently I use "setxkbmap -option caps:escape" and it works well, but
I'd like to know how to make it persistent through reboot. I set this
line in .xinitrc but it didn't work.
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Keyboard_configuration_in_Xorg#Setting_keyboard_layout

This is possible through xorg.conf.d as well.
Leonid Isaev via arch-general
2017-08-17 22:31:53 UTC
Post by Junayeed Ahnaf via arch-general
Hello,
Currently I use "setxkbmap -option caps:escape" and it works well, but
I'd like to know how to make it persistent through reboot. I set this
line in .xinitrc but it didn't work.
It should work. I have a similar line with caps:none in xinitrc and it works.
Perhaps smth from your desktop undoes your setting?

Leonid Isaev