Strange time sync problem.
Add Reply
Matthew Dyer via arch-general
2017-08-12 15:07:12 UTC
Hi all,

I have an arch machine with mate as the desktop. I am using orca all
works well, but 1 problem that is driving me crazy is time zone
syncrinization. If I get time with orca t, I here the time 4 hours
ahead of my local time. For example, If I press orca t for time, it
will tell me that it is 15:-01. It is speaking in 24 hour time rather
than 12 hour. It is about 11 am eastering at time of writing this
message. I am wondering if there is a way to fix this. I installed
gnome control center and set it to sync timezone info and to use am-pm
but the is not being used dispite the changed. How can I fix this?
Thanks. I tried tz select, but not sure whare the file is to set
globalble. hanks.

Matthew
Ralf Mardorf
2017-08-12 15:45:59 UTC
Date: Sat, 12 Aug 2017 15:07:12 +0000
It is about 11 am eastering at time of writing this message.
Hi,

not regarding the header of your email ;).

Did you already follow the advices provided by the Arch Wiki?

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/time

I have no idea how GNOME handles time sync, however, another Arch
Wiki mentions something related to KDE:

"KDE

KDE can use NTP (ntp must be installed) by right clicking the clock and
selecting Adjust date/time. However, this requires the ntp daemon to be
disabled before configuring KDE to use NTP." -
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Network_Time_Protocol_daemon#Start_ntpd_on_network_connection

IOW ensure that you check step by step, if anything already is
responsible to automatically sync time and ensure that you chose your
local correctly and if you should boot between different operating
systems, e.g. your Arch Linux install and another Linux distro's live
DVD, that there isn't an issue related to reading the RTC time in the
local time zone vs UTC.

Regards,
Ralf