Kde + Gnome dual-install issues
Francesco Porro via arch-general
2017-06-24 17:46:16 UTC
I'm a quite new user of Arch and in general I'm very satisfied with it!
Since I've installed both Kde/Plasma and Gnome on my system, I've two
question for you:

1) In a Gnome session, which file should I edit to make folders on my
Desktop open with Nautilus, when I double click on them? I've tried
checking and editing ~/config/mimefiles.list (as stated in the wiki)
but the right settings is already there. Under [Default applications]
inode/directory=org.gnome.Nautilus.desktop;
Which it's supposed to let Nautilus open a folder on double clicking,
but anyway Dolphin opens it up!

I've also put a gnome-mimefiles.list with the same directive... nothing
:\

2) In a Kde/Plasma session I see a lot of gnome-* process running, even
if didn't opened any gnome-related app. How to disable the auto-start
of those deamons/apps? I don't know exactly where to look at, which is
the right conf file to edit?

Thank you in advance!
--
fp
PGP: 0x45399C26
Ralf Mardorf
2017-06-24 19:36:08 UTC
Post by Francesco Porro via arch-general
In a Kde/Plasma session I see a lot of gnome-* process running, even
if didn't opened any gnome-related app. How to disable the auto-start
of those deamons/apps? I don't know exactly where to look at, which is
the right conf file to edit?
Hi,

you assume that the crap of boated desktop environments is started by
a user session, but actually it isn't that way, at least some of that
crap already gets started at boot time, so if you disable it or replace
some odd hard dependencies by empty dummy packages, you don't get those
features, e.g. virtual file system support, at least not automatically,
if you simply start a session with user privileges. If you chose a
desktop environment seeking for world domination, you should obey.

E.g. use

pacman -Qo /path/to/an/executable

to get the name of the package an executable belongs too.

Run

pacman -Ql package

to get a list of all files included to the package.

Perhaps there's a /etc/xdg/autostart/ file or a systemd unit or...

Among several solutions you could use pacman.conf's NoExtract to get
rid of e.g. default /etc/xdg/autostart/ files.

Regards,
Ralf
--
Vote for apulse!
echo $(w3m https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/apulse |grep 'Votes: ')
Votes: 74 Updated: Sat Jun 24 21:36:06 CEST 2017
Ralf Mardorf
2017-06-24 21:14:35 UTC
PS:

Oops, I forgot to mention, that you might want to take a look at
reverse dependencies of the gnome-things that are running.

Use

pactree -r package

I don't have GNOME installed, but I'm e.g. using Evolution:

[***@archlinux ~]$ ps aux | grep /usr/lib/gnome | head -1
rocketm+ 840 0.0 0.3 751568 30648 ? Sl Jun23
0:00 /usr/lib/gnome-online-accounts/goa-daemon [***@archlinux
~]$ pactree -r gnome-online-accounts | head -2 gnome-online-accounts
├─evolution-data-server

Some apps have got a hard dependency to software that actually should
be an optional dependency, for example gvfs, that's why I build an
empty dummy package, to fake that it is installed:

[***@archlinux ~]$ pacman -Qi gvfs
Name : gvfs
Version : 2013.08.18-1
Description : Dummy package
[snip]
Required By : caja libgnome nautilus nemo
Optional For : evince ffmpegthumbnailer inkscape thunar
[snip]
Votes: 74 Updated: Sat Jun 24 23:14:29 CEST 2017
Ralf Mardorf
2017-06-25 04:38:47 UTC
Supplement:

I forgot to mention the OnlyShowIn and NotShowIn options. Take a look
at the files in .config/autostart/.

"OnlyShowIn and NotShowIn Keys

The OnlyShownIn entry may contain a list of strings identifying the
desktop environments that MUST autostart this application, all other
desktop environments MUST NOT autostart this application.

The NotShownIn entry may contain a list of strings identifying the
desktop environments that MUST NOT autostart this application, all
other desktop environments MUST autostart this application.

Only one of these keys, either OnlyShowIn or NotShowIn, may appear in a
single .desktop file."- https://developer.gnome.org/autostart-spec/
at least some of that crap already gets started at boot time, so if
you disable it or replace some odd hard dependencies by empty dummy
packages, you don't get those features
I guess I was mistaken. "systemd offers users the ability to manage
services under the user's control with a per-user systemd instance,
enabling users to start, stop, enable, and disable their own units." -
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Systemd/User
Votes: 74 Updated: Sun Jun 25 06:38:45 CEST 2017
Francesco Porro via arch-general
2017-06-26 10:06:02 UTC
Thanks Ralf for all your replies. I'm still investigating, since I was
outdoor in the weekend, but I'm now more aware of which parts are
involved in this game.

I've looked at Systemd's user units and indeed there is some "gvfs-*"
loaded/active. Also in the folder /etc/xdg/autostart/ there are many
things and I'm still investigating the dependencies. On the contrary my
home's .config/autostart is empty.

I also have Evolution installed so probably:
/usr/lib/gnome-online-accounts/goa-daemon
/usr/lib/gnome-online-accounts/goa-identity-service

are needed by it, also in a Plasma session.

But my main issue is still here (double click on a desktop folder
triggers Dolphin instead of Nautilus *in a Gnome session*). Have you
any ideas about anything that could cause this? It's very frustrating.
--
fp
PGP: 0x45399C26
Simon Brulhart
2017-06-27 13:04:49 UTC
Post by Francesco Porro via arch-general
But my main issue is still here (double click on a desktop folder
triggers Dolphin instead of Nautilus *in a Gnome session*). Have you
any ideas about anything that could cause this? It's very frustrating.
A while ago I had a similar issue. Firefox would open folders with
dolphin instead of nautilus, even though I was running GNOME and I had
set nautilus as the default for inode/directory.

It turned out to be a conflict between two DBUS service definition for
the same interface (org.freedesktop.FileManager1), and as a workaround I
created a symbolic link in ~/.local/share/dbus-1/services to nautilus'
service definition
(/usr/share/dbus-1/services/org.freedesktop.FileManager1.service).

As I understand it worked because services defined in ~/.local/share/
have a higher priority. See
https://specifications.freedesktop.org/basedir-spec/basedir-spec-latest.html#variables

I don't know if the desktop uses this DBUS interface specifically (or if
it uses DBUS at all for this matter), but it may be worth a try.

BTW the thread about "xfce4-notifyd issues" also mentions conflicts
between DBUS services.
Francesco Porro via arch-general
2017-06-27 14:15:21 UTC
Post by Simon Brulhart
Post by Francesco Porro via arch-general
But my main issue is still here (double click on a desktop folder
triggers Dolphin instead of Nautilus *in a Gnome session*). Have you
any ideas about anything that could cause this? It's very
frustrating.
A while ago I had a similar issue. Firefox would open folders with
dolphin instead of nautilus, even though I was running GNOME and I had
set nautilus as the default for inode/directory.
It turned out to be a conflict between two DBUS service definition for
the same interface (org.freedesktop.FileManager1), and as a
workaround I
created a symbolic link in ~/.local/share/dbus-1/services to
nautilus'
service definition
(/usr/share/dbus-1/services/org.freedesktop.FileManager1.service).
Oh yeah, this one works! :D It fixed my problem: finally, I got
Nautilus opened on double-clicking desktop folders, instead of Dolphin!
Many Thanks, Simon! :)
Post by Simon Brulhart
As I understand it worked because services defined in ~/.local/share/
have a higher priority. See
https://specifications.freedesktop.org/basedir-spec/basedir-spec-
latest.html#variables
Yes, I think so too. I'm gonna look into this a little more, because I
don't know that much about dbus and how it works. It's probably
responsible also for those others gnome's deamons running in my Plasma
session.
Post by Simon Brulhart
BTW the thread about "xfce4-notifyd issues" also mentions conflicts
between DBUS services.
So I'm going to read that thread too. Maybe, if this dbus-related
issues are quite frequent (at least in this dual-DE scenario), it could
be worth a mention in the wiki? Just a suggestion/proposal for the
high-skilled guys who read this :) .

I'm having another trouble, but this time is about QT-apps looks on
Gnome, so maybe it's better discussing to a new mail-thread.

Thanx again!
--
fp
PGP: 0x45399C26
Bennett Piater
2017-06-28 11:21:00 UTC
Post by Francesco Porro via arch-general
I'm having another trouble, but this time is about QT-apps looks on
Gnome, so maybe it's better discussing to a new mail-thread.
I assume you mean that QT5 apps don't use any theme?
There are several ways to fix that, you can find them in the QT wiki page.

Cheers,
Bennett
--
GPG fingerprint: 871F 1047 7DB3 DDED 5FC4 47B2 26C7 E577 EF96 7808