That terminal in gnome will launch.
matthew dyer via arch-general
2017-06-27 20:35:08 UTC
Hi all, For some strange ofeason, anon me terminal does not load either when search for it or selectable it in application ns Is there a way to fix this without having to rest stall Arch. Is there something I am doingwrong? I am using gnome 3.24 with all updates as of today. Thanks again for the help. Matthew

Rafael Fontenelle
2017-06-27 20:54:06 UTC
Post by matthew dyer via arch-general
Hi all, For some strange ofeason, anon me terminal does not load either
when search for it or selectable it in application ns Is there a way to fix
this without having to rest stall Arch. Is there something I am
doingwrong? I am using gnome 3.24 with all updates as of today. Thanks
again for the help. Matthew
Is gnome-terminal package installed in your system? You can verify that in
CLI by running the command "pacman -Q gnome-terminal"

Rafael Fontenelle
José Vilmar Estácio de Souza
2017-06-27 21:12:39 UTC
Also you can press alt+f2, type gnome-terminal and press the enter key
to launch terminal.
--
Assinatura Informal José Vilmar, Telefones: 21 2555-2650 e 21
98868-0859, Skype: jvilmar
Andrew Barchuk
2017-06-28 07:45:20 UTC
Hi Matthew,

I'd try to go to a virtual console (usually Ctrl+Alt+FN, N = 1..12, F1
is probably your desktop environment) and use journalctl[1] to find some
logs related to gnome-terminal. Also having access to a command line you
can install some other terminal emulator[2] to be able debug issues from
your graphical environment. Running gnome-terminal from a terminal
emulator (not from virtual console) should give you a pretty good idea
what is going wrong.

[1]: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Systemd#Journal
[2]:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/List_of_applications#Terminal_emulators

---
Andrew
matthew Dyer via arch-general

Andrew
Ralf Mardorf
2017-06-29 00:28:21 UTC
Post by matthew Dyer via arch-general
This morning I tried to reinstall gnome terminal and got no dice.
Somebody mentioned alt+f2 by a previous post. This seemingly opens a
GNOME "run dialoge". Did you try launching it that way? If so,
isn't there anything in .xsession-errors? You don't have at least xterm
or something similar installed? Simply run another terminal and launch
gnome-terminal by command line from this other terminal and post the
output.
--
Vote for apulse!
echo $(w3m https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/apulse |grep 'Votes: ')
Votes: 78 Updated: Thu Jun 29 02:20:58 CEST 2017
Ralf Mardorf
2017-06-29 00:00:37 UTC

the output of

less ~/.xsession-errors

should provide the same or at least similar output, as launching
gnome-terminal from command line. Much unlikely that journalctl does
contain any user session related logs of the kind you want to get.

If you are using some GNOME launcher, are you using a launcher
dedicated for gnome-terminal or is it a launcher trying to open a
"preferred" terminal?

Regards,
Ralf
--
Vote for apulse!
echo $(w3m https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/apulse |grep 'Votes: ')
Votes: 78 Updated: Thu Jun 29 02:00:35 CEST 2017