Espeak in official repositories needs an overhaul
Storm Dragon via arch-general
2017-12-09 23:11:59 UTC
Howdy,

As far as I know, the original espeak project has been abandoned. I have heard the original developer passed away, but I can not confirm that one way or the other.

The latest developments have been added under a fork of the project called Espeak-ng: https://github.com/espeak-ng/espeak-ng

This new fork has a lot of improvements and pronounciation fixes. i wonder if it shouldn't be the one in the official repos now.

Thanks
Storm
--
Powered by Arch Linux! I am registered Linux user number 508465: https://linuxcounter.net/user/508465.html
My blog, Thoughts of a Dragon: http://www.stormdragon.tk/
Led Zeppelin - Stairway to Heaven
Daniel Capella via arch-general
2017-12-10 00:10:24 UTC
I had previously looked into packaging espeak-ng (in the AUR), but it
depends on the development version of pcaudiolib (espeak-ng maintains a
fork that is "even" with upstream). Perhaps they can be persuaded to make a
release.
--
Best,
polyzen
Matthew dyer via arch-general
2017-12-10 16:33:05 UTC

I have been using espeak ng git rom the aur and it seems to work. I have not seen an update in a while.

Matthew