Intermittent problem accessing samba shares
Add Reply
Paul Marwick via arch-general
2017-03-02 00:59:36 UTC
Fully updated Arch install, running Xfce. I don't use Samba very much,
but need it for access at various times, so I have gvfs, gvfs-smb and
smbclient installed. Normally no problem accessing Samba shares from
Thunar. However....

Recently I spent some time trying to work out why a client was unable to
access Samba shares from an Xubuntu desktop machine (shares are on an
Ubuntu 16.04 server). While I was testing, I did something (wish I knew
what...) and ended up with Thunar suddenly being unable to access any
Samba share, even though I could use mount.cifs to mount the same share.

When I got back to my home network, I found similar problems, even
though I'd never had any problems in that area with this install of
Arch. At the same time, another Arch install on the same laptop had no
problems accessing the shares, and my desktop machine was also still
able to access the shares without any problems.

The problem is strange and very variable. Sometimes it fails as soon as
I click "browse network" - the system sits and then comes back with
'unable to access "/" timeout was reached'. Sometimes I get a display of
the Windows network icon, then it fails to open the Windows network
display. Other times, I am able to see and mount a share on the network.
This is on the same network, with no changes made to the network (one
Slackware-based server, one Ubuntu 16.04 server). And a network which
other Arch installs have no problems accessing the shares.

I've checked messages using journalctl and dmesg and see nothing when
the access fails. The part I find really puzzling is that sometimes it
works with any problems, other times it fails as soon as I start.

I'm confident that the prolbem is not Thunar itself. I installed pcmanfm
to see if a different file manager would behave differently, but it
shows exactly the same problem - sometimes it works, other times it fails.

I'm at a loss as to how I track this error. I'd really like to fix it,
so I'm hoping someone can suggest what might cause the problem, and how
to fix it?

I've seen problems like this in the past (mainly on Debian based
distros, though a few years ago on an Arch install). One of a very small
number of problems I've never been able to predictably fix.

Paul.
Joost Janssen via arch-general
2017-03-02 15:38:18 UTC
Hey Paul,

I've had a similar issue where my samba connections went dead after a
while.

Disabling your samba server's autodisconnect timeout might help:
Run the following command in an Administrator cmd box to completely turn
off the autodisconnect timeout:

*net config server /autodisconnect:-1*
*Source: *
https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/sharepoint/en-US/048e504d-c8d5-4eae-b5a5-e367797a2bca/shares-do-not-stay-connected?forum=winservergen

Regards,

Joost

On Thu, Mar 2, 2017 at 1:59 AM, Paul Marwick via arch-general <