Possible to "inherit" from a package?
Peter Nabbefeld
2018-07-14 05:17:20 UTC

it seems, Dovecot is built without Solr support. Just to add a build
option, I wonder if there's a concept of "inheriting" from a package
build, so I'd only add the config option?

Kind regards

Peter
Ralf Mardorf
2018-07-14 05:50:49 UTC
On Sat, 14 Jul 2018 07:17:20 +0200, Peter Nabbefeld wrote:
>Just to add a build option, I wonder if there's a concept of
>"inheriting" from a package build, so I'd only add the config option?

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Arch_Build_System#Retrieve_PKGBUILD_source_using_Git

$ asp update
$ asp checkout dovecot
$ cd dovecot/trunk/
$ $EDITOR PKGBUILD

Assuming all make dependencies and required signatures are available
continue with

$ makepkg -s
Ralf Mardorf
2018-07-14 05:59:21 UTC
On Sat, 14 Jul 2018 07:50:49 +0200, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
>On Sat, 14 Jul 2018 07:17:20 +0200, Peter Nabbefeld wrote:
>>Just to add a build option, I wonder if there's a concept of
>>"inheriting" from a package build, so I'd only add the config
>>option?
>
>https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Arch_Build_System#Retrieve_PKGBUILD_source_using_Git
>
>$ asp update
>$ asp checkout dovecot
>$ cd dovecot/trunk/
>$ $EDITOR PKGBUILD
>
>Assuming all make dependencies and required signatures are available
>continue with
>
>$ makepkg -s

Note, the "-s" option will install all required dependencies, excepted
of those provided by
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/official_repositories#core , since
it should be given, that those are installed.
Ralf Mardorf
2018-07-14 06:07:03 UTC

David Runge
2018-07-14 06:42:09 UTC
On July 14, 2018 8:07:03 AM GMT+02:00, Ralf Mardorf <***@zoho.com> wrote:
>On Sat, 14 Jul 2018 07:50:49 +0200, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
>>On Sat, 14 Jul 2018 07:17:20 +0200, Peter Nabbefeld wrote:
>>>Just to add a build option, I wonder if there's a concept of
>>>"inheriting" from a package build, so I'd only add the config
>>>option?
>>
>>https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Arch_Build_System#Retrieve_PKGBUILD_source_using_Git
>>
>>$ asp update
>>$ asp checkout dovecot
>>$ cd dovecot/trunk/
>>$ $EDITOR PKGBUILD
>>
>>Assuming all make dependencies and required signatures are available
> ^^^^^^^^^^ keys ;)
>>continue with
>>
>>$ makepkg -s
I don't think Peter asked for a HOWTO on reading Ralf. No need to send three mails for that.

@Peter: inheritance is not really a thing with PKGBUILDs afaik. However, you can do two things to get the desired results: Ask for inclusion of the feature with a feature request in the bug tracker or create your own local repository with precedence over the others in which you build your own version of dovecot.

https://sleepmap.de
Eli Schwartz via arch-general
2018-07-16 03:40:48 UTC
On 07/14/2018 02:42 AM, David Runge wrote:
> @Peter: inheritance is not really a thing with PKGBUILDs afaik.
> However, you can do two things to get the desired results: Ask for
> inclusion of the feature with a feature request in the bug tracker or
> create your own local repository with precedence over the others in
> which you build your own version of dovecot.

+1

This is trivial to do if you've got a local git clone of the repository
package, as you can take advantage of git rebase to forward-port your
local modifications to newer releases.

Alternatively there is https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/?K=customizepkg

Bug Wrangler and Trusted User
Peter Nabbefeld
2018-07-26 15:02:28 UTC
Am 16.07.2018 um 05:40 schrieb Eli Schwartz via arch-general:
> On 07/14/2018 02:42 AM, David Runge wrote:
>> @Peter: inheritance is not really a thing with PKGBUILDs afaik.
>> However, you can do two things to get the desired results: Ask for
>> inclusion of the feature with a feature request in the bug tracker or
>> create your own local repository with precedence over the others in
>> which you build your own version of dovecot.
> +1
>
> This is trivial to do if you've got a local git clone of the repository
> package, as you can take advantage of git rebase to forward-port your
> local modifications to newer releases.
>
> Alternatively there is https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/?K=customizepkg

Thank You, Eli! I needed some time to look at this. From
https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/customizepkg/ there're only few AUR
helpers using it:
- yaourt, packer, aurget: discouraged according to wiki
- aura: needs haskell, but aura-bin seems appropriate.

Also, though README of customizepkg states "A tool for Arch Linux
package manager pacman to modify PKGBUILD automatically.", it seems not
to work with pacman itself.

So my best bet seems to be aura (bin) - I'll have to learn about, as
pacaur is no more maintained anyway.

But I there's a package version mismatch between .SRCINFO and PKGBUILD
customizepkg - with an interesting message:

:: customizepkg package(s) failed to install.
:: ensure package version does not mismatch between .SRCINFO and PKGBUILD
:: ensure package name has a VCS suffix if this is a devel package

Did You notice? Error message is telling the opposite ...

Well, I'll have to fix the version mismatch that locally.

Kind regards

Peter
Peter Nabbefeld
2018-07-26 15:05:40 UTC
Am 26.07.2018 um 17:02 schrieb Peter Nabbefeld:
> Did You notice? Error message is telling the opposite ...

Sorry, reading 3 times and still read wrong - error message is correct,
of course :D
Eli Schwartz via arch-general
2018-07-26 16:13:37 UTC
On 07/26/2018 11:02 AM, Peter Nabbefeld wrote:
> But I there's a package version mismatch between .SRCINFO and PKGBUILD
> customizepkg - with an interesting message:
>
> :: customizepkg package(s) failed to install.
> :: ensure package version does not mismatch between .SRCINFO and PKGBUILD
> :: ensure package name has a VCS suffix if this is a devel package
>
> Did You notice? Error message is telling the opposite ...
>
> Well, I'll have to fix the version mismatch that locally.

pacaur sucks by design, where other AUR helpers might have bugs because
they don't properly account for some edge case, pacaur has bugs because
the developer says "screw users".

The developer of pacaur has declared his motivation for that error
message to be (paraphrased) "I would like to incite AUR maintainers by
punishing users and making sure the package refuses to install with
pacaur, in the hope that pacaur users will complain on the AUR page
until the maintainer updates the .SRCINFO".

This is an aggressive overreach of what an AUR helper is meant to do.

Don't use pacaur. Any other helper you use could at least be fixed if it
does something wrong, because their developers don't *intend* to produce
incorrect behavior.

Also pacaur is officially discontinued and archived on Github.

Bug Wrangler and Trusted User
Peter Nabbefeld
2018-07-22 09:42:11 UTC
Am 14.07.2018 um 08:42 schrieb David Runge:
> On July 14, 2018 8:07:03 AM GMT+02:00, Ralf Mardorf <***@zoho.com> wrote:
>>> https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Arch_Build_System#Retrieve_PKGBUILD_source_using_Git
>>>
>>> $ asp update
>>> $ asp checkout dovecot
>>> $ cd dovecot/trunk/
>>> $ $EDITOR PKGBUILD
>>>
>>> Assuming all make dependencies and required signatures are available
>> ^^^^^^^^^^ keys ;)
>>> continue with
>>>
>>> $ makepkg -s
> I don't think Peter asked for a HOWTO on reading Ralf. No need to send three mails for that.
>
> @Peter: inheritance is not really a thing with PKGBUILDs afaik. However, you can do two things to get the desired results: Ask for inclusion of the feature with a feature request in the bug tracker or create your own local repository with precedence over the others in which you build your own version of dovecot.

I'm mostly just a user, so Ralf's hints will be useful, too. I just
installed Dovecot because of an overflow in my provider's INBOX, now I'm
hosting my mail archive locally. :)

But I'm missing searching in content - best option seems to be Solr
plugin. I wonder, how others are using Dovecot, when this configuration
parameter is usually unset.

As a user, I'm not familiar with Arch Linux bug tracker - where do I
find it?

Kind regards
Peter
Ralph Corderoy
2018-07-22 10:31:44 UTC
Hi Peter,

> As a user, I'm not familiar with Arch Linux bug tracker - where do I
> find it?

At the top of Google's results for `Arch Linux bug tracker'. :-)
https://bugs.archlinux.org/

You should also read
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Reporting_bug_guidelines

--
Cheers, Ralph.
https://plus.google.com/+RalphCorderoy
Eli Schwartz via arch-general
2018-07-16 03:35:23 UTC
On 07/14/2018 01:59 AM, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> Note, the "-s" option will install all required dependencies, excepted
> of those provided by
> https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/official_repositories#core , since
> it should be given, that those are installed.

In addition to the question of "why on earth do you feel the need to
send three emails to point someone at a wiki page"...

You do realize this is totally wrong?

[core] is not assumed installed the base group is. And that really has
nothing to do with the offtopic efficacy of the -s option.

Bug Wrangler and Trusted User
Ralf Mardorf
2018-07-16 07:40:45 UTC
On Sun, 15 Jul 2018 23:35:23 -0400, Eli Schwartz via arch-general wrote:
>[core] is not assumed installed the base group is.

Opps :D. My apologies! If I should have noticed myself, two days
ago, that I accidentally interchanged this, it likely would have
resulted in another redundant mail. I don't have a sober mind each day,
since I'm not a Zen master, I'm quite the opposite, a colourful artist.
Peter Nabbefeld
2018-07-22 09:33:31 UTC
Am 16.07.2018 um 09:40 schrieb Ralf Mardorf:
> On Sun, 15 Jul 2018 23:35:23 -0400, Eli Schwartz via arch-general wrote:
>> [core] is not assumed installed the base group is.
> Opps :D. My apologies! If I should have noticed myself, two days
> ago, that I accidentally interchanged this, it likely would have
> resulted in another redundant mail. I don't have a sober mind each day,
> since I'm not a Zen master, I'm quite the opposite, a colourful artist.
Thanks nevertheless, I'd never known there's a difference without Your
mistake.

P.