Please update VLC to v3.0.0
Xorg via arch-general
2018-02-23 12:03:28 UTC
Hi everybody,

I hope it's the good mailing list to request package update (the bug
tracker only says 'the Mailing List'), and I'm sorry if I'm wrong.

VLC has been flagged out-of-date on 2018-02-07 (2 weeks ago).
Can you update it to v3.0.0, please?

Thank you in advance!

PS: Sorry for task #57595.
Eli Schwartz via arch-general
2018-02-23 13:25:45 UTC
Post by Xorg via arch-general
Hi everybody,
I hope it's the good mailing list to request package update (the bug
tracker only says 'the Mailing List'), and I'm sorry if I'm wrong.
VLC has been flagged out-of-date on 2018-02-07 (2 weeks ago).
Can you update it to v3.0.0, please?
Thank you in advance!
PS: Sorry for task #57595.
VLC is already updated.

It is currently in staging.

it is a non-trivial change, and there were other bugs that had to be
resolved during the update.

https://git.archlinux.org/svntogit/packages.git/commit/trunk?h=packages/vlc&id=8fcde2c5cf91a0472781dc791ed97388e32947d2

Yes, sometimes even Arch Linux takes longer than 47 minutes after an
upstream release to update packages. Two weeks for a major version
update that changes lots of dependencies including a move from Qt4 to
Qt5, *and* provides libraries against which *other* packages need to be
rebuilt? Yeah, this takes time.
Bug Wrangler and Trusted User
Xorg via arch-general
2018-02-23 20:30:51 UTC
Post by Eli Schwartz via arch-general
Post by Xorg via arch-general
Hi everybody,
I hope it's the good mailing list to request package update (the bug
tracker only says 'the Mailing List'), and I'm sorry if I'm wrong.
VLC has been flagged out-of-date on 2018-02-07 (2 weeks ago).
Can you update it to v3.0.0, please?
Thank you in advance!
PS: Sorry for task #57595.
VLC is already updated.
It is currently in staging.
As you can see, I wrote my post at 12:03:28 UTC, and commit 8fcde2c at
12:30:29 UTC.
I was tracking the Git activity for this package, and I would never have
posted if it was already the case. :)
Post by Eli Schwartz via arch-general
Yes, sometimes even Arch Linux takes longer than 47 minutes after an
upstream release to update packages. Two weeks for a major version
update that changes lots of dependencies including a move from Qt4 to
Qt5, *and* provides libraries against which *other* packages need to be
rebuilt? Yeah, this takes time.
I'm sorry if my intention was misunderstood.
I know it can take time after a major upstream update. Simply, due to no
sign of activity for v3.0.0 on staging/testing, I thought it had been
forgotten.
I *really* appreciate work done by mainteners, and it was not a reproach.

Thank you Levente Polyak for the update.