Firefox 52 Audio broken
Add Reply
jjgaris via arch-general
2017-03-07 08:29:58 UTC
Since the update to firefox 52 the audio support has been broken.
This seems to be because pulse audio is now a dependency by default in firefox.
However firefox can still be build with ALSA support.

Without getting into any dicussion about issues about pulseaudio itself, I believe it should be possible to use firefox on arch without being forces to use pulse
audio. I am certainly not the only one to have banned this package from my boxes. And having more choices is certainly a good thing.

Not sure this is the right place but I would like to ask to change back to the old defaults (ALSA).
With the old defaults, the user can choose to use pulse audio (or JACK) or stay with plain ALSA support.
Allan McRae
2017-03-07 09:00:12 UTC
Post by jjgaris via arch-general
Since the update to firefox 52 the audio support has been broken.
This seems to be because pulse audio is now a dependency by default in firefox.
However firefox can still be build with ALSA support.
Without getting into any dicussion about issues about pulseaudio itself, I believe it should be possible to use firefox on arch without being forces to use pulse
audio. I am certainly not the only one to have banned this package from my boxes. And having more choices is certainly a good thing.
Not sure this is the right place but I would like to ask to change back to the old defaults (ALSA).
With the old defaults, the user can choose to use pulse audio (or JACK) or stay with plain ALSA support.
Upstream changed to pulseaudio by default. Arch follows upstream

You can compile firefox yourself to set it being alsa only.

jjgaris via arch-general
2017-03-07 09:26:55 UTC
Post by Allan McRae
Post by jjgaris via arch-general
Since the update to firefox 52 the audio support has been broken.
This seems to be because pulse audio is now a dependency by default in firefox.
However firefox can still be build with ALSA support.
Without getting into any dicussion about issues about pulseaudio itself, I believe it should be possible to use firefox on arch without being forces to use pulse
audio. I am certainly not the only one to have banned this package from my boxes. And having more choices is certainly a good thing.
Not sure this is the right place but I would like to ask to change back to the old defaults (ALSA).
With the old defaults, the user can choose to use pulse audio (or JACK) or stay with plain ALSA support.
Upstream changed to pulseaudio by default. Arch follows upstream
You can compile firefox yourself to set it being alsa only.
Building firefox takes hours making this not really an option for many users.
Arch has deviated before from the upstream default, I see no reason why we should follow upstream by restricting the
choice of the user.
SanskritFritz via arch-general
2017-03-07 09:49:25 UTC
Post by Allan McRae
Upstream changed to pulseaudio by default. Arch follows upstream
You can compile firefox yourself to set it being alsa only.
Building firefox takes hours making this not really an option for many users.
Arch has deviated before from the upstream default, I see no reason why we
should follow upstream by restricting the
choice of the user.
Does a kind soul provide an alternative build of Firefox? I had to remove
pulse audio from my system due to a bug, while Alsa works just fine.
Ralf Mardorf
2017-03-07 11:05:55 UTC
Post by jjgaris via arch-general
Building firefox takes hours making this not really an option for many users.
Does a kind soul provide an alternative build of Firefox?
Assuming time shouldn't be an issue for you, consider to build Firefox
using ABS. Assuming your tmpfs should be only around 2 GiB small, then
better don't build in /tmp, "df -h" does show. I haven't tested with 4
GiB tmpfs, but I suspect that this should work.

AUR provides palemoon-bin and icecat-bin, both are based upon firefox,
"bin" means that you don't need to compile them. Community provides
qupzilla, a web browser similar to firefox.

I don't have pulseaudio installed, but all the mentioned browsers. I
don't know, if they still work without pulseaudio, since I usually
only use audio for audio productions and seldom with a web browser.

Regards,
Ralf
Carlchristian Eckert
2017-03-07 15:00:18 UTC
As a workaround, have you tried using apulse? It is a pulseaudio
emulation for ALSA. Some time ago, I used it successfully to run Skype
(which also depends on pulseaudio) without having pulseaudio installed.
jjgaris via arch-general
2017-03-07 15:14:21 UTC
As a workaround, have you tried using apulse? It is a pulseaudio emulation
for ALSA. Some time ago, I used it successfully to run Skype (which also
depends on pulseaudio) without having pulseaudio installed.
I was just experimenting with that and while the warning message disappered when run with apulsse, the sound does not
work unfortunately.
Óscar García Amor
2017-03-07 15:18:16 UTC
And make a package for firefox-esr[1]? It could maintain the ALSA support
and plugins support.

[1]: https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/organizations/

Óscar García Amor | ogarcia at moire.org | http://ogarcia.me
Ralf Mardorf
2017-03-07 20:14:21 UTC
Post by Carlchristian Eckert
As a workaround, have you tried using apulse? It is a pulseaudio
emulation for ALSA. Some time ago, I used it successfully to run Skype
(which also depends on pulseaudio) without having pulseaudio installed.
I don't know, if the required asoundrc could have impact on real-time
pro-audio usage. I won't test it.

[***@archlinux firefox]$ cat /usr/share/apulse/asoundrc.sample
pcm.!default {
type plug
slave.pcm "asymed"
}

pcm.asymed {
type asym
playback.pcm {
@func getenv
vars [ ALSAPCM ]
default "dmix"
}
capture.pcm "dsnoop"
}
Post by Carlchristian Eckert
==> Making package: firefox 52.0-2 (Tue Mar 7 15:21:51 CET 2017)
[...]
No space left on device
[...]
==> ERROR: A failure occurred in build().
Aborting...

real 61m48.492s
user 100m10.263s
sys 4m25.917s
[***@archlinux firefox]$ df -h | grep /tmp
tmpfs 3.9G 3.8G 105M 98% /tmp

At least we now know, that around 4 GiB tmps aren't enough. On another
day I'll compile it on a SSD instead of compiling it in RAM. Continuing
an audio production and compiling Firefox at the same time
unfortunately isn't an option.

Regards,
Ralf
LoneVVolf
2017-03-07 21:18:19 UTC
Post by Carlchristian Eckert
As a workaround, have you tried using apulse? It is a pulseaudio
emulation for ALSA. Some time ago, I used it successfully to run Skype
(which also depends on pulseaudio) without having pulseaudio installed.
I don't know, if the required asoundrc could have impact on real-time
pro-audio usage. I won't test it.
I just tested apulse-git successfully, no changes to my alsa setup were
needed.

LW
Ralf Mardorf
2017-03-07 22:04:20 UTC
Post by LoneVVolf
Post by Ralf Mardorf
Post by Carlchristian Eckert
As a workaround, have you tried using apulse? It is a pulseaudio
emulation for ALSA. Some time ago, I used it successfully to run
Skype (which also depends on pulseaudio) without having pulseaudio
installed.
I don't know, if the required asoundrc could have impact on real-time
pro-audio usage. I won't test it.
I just tested apulse-git successfully, no changes to my alsa setup
were needed.
Thank you,

I confirm that apulse-git works with Firefox 52.0-1 and an asoundrc
isn't required :).

[***@archlinux firefox]$ apulse firefox >/dev/null 1&>2
[***@archlinux firefox]$ pacman -Ql apulse-git
apulse-git /usr/
apulse-git /usr/bin/
apulse-git /usr/bin/apulse
apulse-git /usr/lib/
apulse-git /usr/lib/apulse/
apulse-git /usr/lib/apulse/libpulse-simple.so
apulse-git /usr/lib/apulse/libpulse-simple.so.0
apulse-git /usr/lib/apulse/libpulse.so
apulse-git /usr/lib/apulse/libpulse.so.0
apulse-git /usr/lib/apulse/libpulsecommon-5.0.so
apulse-git /usr/share/
apulse-git /usr/share/licenses/
apulse-git /usr/share/licenses/apulse-git/
apulse-git /usr/share/licenses/apulse-git/LICENSE
[***@archlinux firefox]$ pacman -Q firefox
firefox 52.0-1

In the meantime I didn't make music, instead I build Firefox again.
It takes around 1 hour to build Firefox with a 2.8 GHz Celeron
dual-core, 8 GiB DDR3 RAM, on a SSD SATA 3.2, 6.0 Gb/s.
After building it with "--enable-alsa" ALSA support works again.
So for now I'll use Firefox with ALSA support enabled, but next time
I'll use apulse from git with Firefox from extra.

[***@archlinux firefox]$ time makepkg -s
==> Making package: firefox 52.0-2 (Tue Mar 7 21:20:33 CET 2017)
[snip]
==> Finished making: firefox 52.0-2 (Tue Mar 7 22:21:13 CET 2017)

real 60m40.319s
user 104m47.026s
sys 4m31.483s
[***@archlinux firefox]$ grep pkgrel= PKGBUILD
pkgrel=2
[***@archlinux firefox]$ grep -B2 -A2 e-alsa PKGBUILD

ac_add_options --prefix=/usr
ac_add_options --enable-alsa
ac_add_options --enable-release
ac_add_options --enable-gold
[***@archlinux firefox]$ pacman -Q firefox
firefox 52.0-2
[***@archlinux firefox]$ firefox >/dev/null 1&>2

Regards,
Ralf
Eli Schwartz via arch-general
2017-03-07 22:14:08 UTC
Post by LoneVVolf
Post by Ralf Mardorf
Post by Carlchristian Eckert
As a workaround, have you tried using apulse? It is a pulseaudio
emulation for ALSA. Some time ago, I used it successfully to run
Skype (which also depends on pulseaudio) without having pulseaudio
installed.
I don't know, if the required asoundrc could have impact on real-time
pro-audio usage. I won't test it.
I just tested apulse-git successfully, no changes to my alsa setup
were needed.
Thank you,
I confirm that apulse-git works with Firefox 52.0-1 and an asoundrc
isn't required :).
Keep in mind that firefox 52.0-2 uses "ac_add_options --enable-alsa"

Carry on...
Allan McRae
2017-03-07 22:31:21 UTC
Post by Eli Schwartz via arch-general
Post by Ralf Mardorf
Post by LoneVVolf
Post by Ralf Mardorf
Post by Carlchristian Eckert
As a workaround, have you tried using apulse? It is a pulseaudio
emulation for ALSA. Some time ago, I used it successfully to run
Skype (which also depends on pulseaudio) without having pulseaudio
installed.
I don't know, if the required asoundrc could have impact on real-time
pro-audio usage. I won't test it.
I just tested apulse-git successfully, no changes to my alsa setup
were needed.
Thank you,
I confirm that apulse-git works with Firefox 52.0-1 and an asoundrc
isn't required :).
Keep in mind that firefox 52.0-2 uses "ac_add_options --enable-alsa"
Carry on...
Until firefox-54, which will return to pulse because it breaks alsa...

2017-03-07 22:54:47 UTC
Post by Ralf Mardorf
I confirm that apulse-git works with Firefox 52.0-1 and an asoundrc
isn't required :).
Keep in mind that firefox 52.0-2 uses "ac_add_options --enable-alsa"
Carry on...
Until firefox-54, which will return to pulse because it breaks alsa...
Reply to Eli:

I tested apulse from git with firefox 52.0-1 from extra, so apart from
the redirect typo, there's no mistake.
Post by Allan McRae
Post by Eli Schwartz via arch-general
Post by Ralf Mardorf
[snip]
firefox 52.0-1
_After_ testing apulse I upgraded to the version I build with
alsa-enabled.
Post by Allan McRae
Post by Eli Schwartz via arch-general
Post by Ralf Mardorf
firefox 52.0-2
Reply to Allan:

In the future I'll use apulse. Hopefully the AUR PKGBUILD then will
follow
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/VCS_package_guidelines#Git .

Regards,
Ralf

Bartłomiej Piotrowski
2017-03-07 11:48:59 UTC
Post by Allan McRae
[...]
Convince upstream to bring Alsa back as default. That's pretty much EOT
from anyone involved into packaging in Arch.

BP
jjgaris via arch-general
2017-03-07 13:09:16 UTC
Post by Allan McRae
[...]
There is no reason to restrict the use of audio servers because upstream uses a hard dependency by default.

A lot of work and time has been spend by a lot of people to build alternative audioservers (like JACK) and enable them
to be used by firefox. This work is pretty much wasted if arch prevents users from choosing their own audio servers. The
possibility of compiling the software ourselfs won't change that since very few will/can do that.

One solution I could think of is an alternative firefox package (not in AUR) that still allows users to make their own
choice. Would that be a possibility?
Allan McRae
2017-03-07 13:21:46 UTC
No.
Ralf Mardorf
2017-03-07 14:26:52 UTC
Post by jjgaris via arch-general
One solution I could think of is an alternative firefox package (not
in AUR) that still allows users to make their own choice. Would that
be a possibility?
Hi,

I build with

[***@archlinux firefox]$ grep enable-alsa PKGBUILD
ac_add_options --enable-alsa

[***@archlinux firefox]$ time makepkg -s
==> Making package: firefox 52.0-2 (Tue Mar 7 15:21:51 CET 2017)
[...]

IIUC this is the option that needs to be added. If you should use
x86_64 architecture I could send the package off-list to those who want
it, too. Assuming it should build ;).

Regards,
Ralf
Christian Rebischke
2017-03-07 16:23:42 UTC
Post by jjgaris via arch-general
Building firefox takes hours making this not really an option for many users.
Arch has deviated before from the upstream default, I see no reason why we should follow upstream by restricting the
choice of the user.
Linux is _not_ about choice [1]

cheers,

chris

[1] https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2008-January/msg00861.html
jjgaris via arch-general
2017-03-07 16:32:30 UTC
Post by Christian Rebischke
Post by jjgaris via arch-general
Building firefox takes hours making this not really an option for many users.
Arch has deviated before from the upstream default, I see no reason why we should follow upstream by restricting the
choice of the user.
Linux is _not_ about choice [1]
cheers,
chris
[1] https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2008-January/msg00861.html
So what? Is linux now about restricting user choice?
While I generally agree with the referenced text, using it to justify restricting user chouce without reason is just
nonsence. The way it is used, it is also one of the most stupid sentences ever created.
Maxwell Anselm via arch-general
2017-03-07 17:48:33 UTC
Post by jjgaris via arch-general
So what? Is linux now about restricting user choice?
Arch is a pragmatic distribution, both for the users and developers.
Upstream decided to make pulseaudio a hard dependency specifically to
reduce maintenance costs on their end. Arch devs really aren't in the
business of adopting such maintenance costs. The pragmatic solution is to
follow upstream.

If you have a problem with that, take it up with the Firefox devs, not us.
Christian Rebischke
2017-03-07 17:54:38 UTC
Post by jjgaris via arch-general
So what? Is linux now about restricting user choice?
While I generally agree with the referenced text, using it to justify restricting user chouce without reason is just
nonsence. The way it is used, it is also one of the most stupid sentences ever created.
Sorry, but where do you see user-restriction? Firefox is opensource, you
can compile it by yourself or even provide a binary in the AUR. Nobody
would restrict you. You can even fork the firefox project.

So please, don't come with 'restricting user choice'.
LoneVVolf
2017-03-07 11:15:15 UTC
Post by Allan McRae
Upstream changed to pulseaudio by default. Arch follows upstream
You can compile firefox yourself to set it being alsa only.
Allan,

if we really want to follow firefox upstream, we should :
- stop replacing the libraries upstream bundles with system libs,
- disable gold linker
- disable pie
- disable rust support

etc.

We don't follow upstream firefox now, do you have other reasons to leave
out alsa support ?

Lone_Wolf

from firefox PKGBUILD :

ac_add_options --enable-gold
ac_add_options --enable-pie
ac_add_options --enable-rust

# System libraries
ac_add_options --with-system-nspr
ac_add_options --with-system-nss
ac_add_options --with-system-icu
ac_add_options --with-system-jpeg
ac_add_options --with-system-zlib
ac_add_options --with-system-bz2
ac_add_options --with-system-libevent
ac_add_options --with-system-libvpx
ac_add_options --enable-system-hunspell
ac_add_options --enable-system-sqlite
ac_add_options --enable-system-ffi
ac_add_options --enable-system-pixman
Jelle van der Waa
2017-03-07 12:28:03 UTC
Post by LoneVVolf
- stop replacing the libraries upstream bundles with system libs,
- disable gold linker
- disable pie
- disable rust support
etc.
We don't follow upstream firefox now, do you have other reasons to leave out
alsa support ?
No, we follow software defaults which libraries or CFLAGS we use has
nothing to do with that.
Jelle van der Waa
Damjan Georgievski via arch-general
2017-03-07 12:58:15 UTC
Post by jjgaris via arch-general
Since the update to firefox 52 the audio support has been broken.
nope, it works fine.

alas, ALSA support in Firefox has become unmaintained …
this means if Arch reverts to ALSA it'll be shipping worse code just
for the few people that choose to not use Pulseaudio (for their own
reasons).
damjan
jjgaris via arch-general
2017-03-07 14:06:26 UTC
Post by Damjan Georgievski via arch-general
[...]
Several firefox developers still choose to use firefox build with ALSA support. While official support may not exist,
it still works will will continue to do so.
And while I wanted to avoid the discussion about why not to use pulseaudio, let me respond by saying ther is no worse
code then pulseaudio...

And there are not only a few people who chose to remove pulseaudio from their systems. In any case I believe it should
be a goal to let the users decide what software they want to use, especially if it does not create extra work. (Using
pulseaudio by default will however create a lot of work for a lot of people)

Again, there is no reason to follow the decision by upstream, it will only create problems and extra work while
restricting the freedom of the users.
I could understand this if deviating from upstream meant more work, but it is only a matter of setting another compile
flag. If future version do not work with ALSA anymore this can be change but at the moment it does work.